Task Scheduler won't wake up my Fit-PC2

dieseljwt

Task Scheduler won't wake up my Fit-PC2

Post by dieseljwt »

I have several PCs in my house, and schedule most of them to hibernate after 11pm, and wake up in the morning. I do this with some very simple tasks in Windows Task Scheduler.

Maybe this isn't Win7-specific, but my new Fit-PC2 won't wake up. The hibernate task works fine, but the task that is scheduled to wake the machine up doesn't (wake it up, that is).

Basically this is just a dummy task -- it doesn't matter what it does as long as you check the "Wake th PC to run this task" box.

But...it doesn't on my Fit-PC2. Any suggestions?

Jim

dieseljwt

Re: Task Scheduler won't wake up my Fit-PC2

Post by dieseljwt »

There is a claim in the forums that the BIOS from Aug 31 will support "wake PC from standby", but according to my interpretation of BIOS changes, this should have already been supported with the Jul 21 version. If you look at the change list in the WIKI, it says the following change was in the Jul 21 BIOS:

" 3. RTC wake-up ACPI availability through OS (S3)"

So this should work.

Jim

Leonid

Post by Leonid »

Hi.

By default, the ability to wake the system from sleep for a timed event is disabled on Windows 7-based mobile PCs. Programmed timed events do not wake the system regardless of whether the mobile PC is on AC or on battery power. However, you can change the Power Options settings to enable the wake timers.

You can find the detailed explanation here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973454
Leonid Firdman

dieseljwt

Post by dieseljwt »

Thanks, Leonid. A good suggestion, but enabling sleep was the first setting I changed. The settings are correct.

Jim

picoarthur

Post by picoarthur »

Were you able to figure out what is wrong? I also want to implement a schedule where it wakes up every 4th hour for an hour and then go back to sleep. For example, the computer is in sleep mode and wakes up at 12AM then goes back to sleep at 1AM. Then it will repeat this and wake up at 4AM and goes back to sleep at 5AM. A total of 6 wake ups a day. Is there a program out there that can do this or can it be implemented in Task Scheduler? I found a program that can wake the computer, perform a task, and put it back to sleep but it can't repeat the procedure multiple times a day.

I am doing this because my Fit PC2 is not getting ac power from the grid, it's running from a lead acid battery charged by a solar panel. It is waking up so that it can record certain wildlife acoustic behaviors outdoors. It is necessary to put it to sleep while it's not recording data to conserve and extend battery life.

dieseljwt

Post by dieseljwt »

Using Task Scheduler (for any of my other PCs) this is easy to do.

To sleep, schedule tasks at whatever times you want. These tasks will run a command "shutdown /h" or "shutdown /s".

To wake, schedule other tasks at wakeup times. These, however, will be "dummy" tasks. In other words, it isn't important what they do, just as long as you check "Wake the computer to run this task". Once the PC is awake, you've accomplished your purpose. For mine, I just run a "dir" command. NOTE: use "Create Task", rather than "Create Basic Task", because those don't give you the option to wake the PC.

But this doesn't work on my fit-PC2. The CompuLab guy who responded said they didn't have that much experience yet with Win7, but I am pretty confident this is not related to Windows 7, or any other OS.

Jim

Leonid

Post by Leonid »

Hi.

I checked it again and it works fine.

Please, perform the following steps:
1. Update your video driver to 8.14.10.2015 version.
http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/win7-dr ... 091105.zip

2. Download the attached test.zip file, unzip it and import it to your Task Scheduler. Use it as a reference to build your own task

3. Open "Power Options", click the "Change plan settings" option that is next to the power plan that is selected, and then click "Change advanced power settings".
Click on "Cange settings that are currently unavailable", set "Require a password on wakeup" to "No" for "On battery" and "Plugged in" options, set "Sleep"/"Allow wake timers" to "Enable" for "On battery" and "Plugged in" options.
Attachments
test.zip
(966 Bytes) Downloaded 494 times
Leonid Firdman

dieseljwt

Post by dieseljwt »

Did everything you recommended, exactly as described. Even the power options -- my options were already set correctly, but I did them again, anyway.

No difference. Once it hibernates, I have to push the button to wake it up again.

Leonid

Post by Leonid »

Hi.

Due to hardware limitations, for now, fit-PC2 doesn't support wake-on-timer from Hibernation Mode.
However, wake-on-timer from Sleep Mode works properly.

Regards.
Leonid Firdman

Return to “Windows 7”