Why can't Windows Task Scheduler wake my fit-PC2?

dieseljwt

Why can't Windows Task Scheduler wake my fit-PC2?

Post by dieseljwt »

I've posted about this a couple of times as replies to other threads, but no responses. Thought I'd give the more direct approach a try.

I have a number of PCs in my home that I hibernate at night, and use a dummy scheduled task in the morning to wake them up. I simply enter a task and mark it "Wake the Computer to Run this Task". It doesn't matter what the task is -- once the PC wakes up I've accomplished what I want.

Problem is, this doesn't work on my Fit-PC2. The BIOS fix that might have had an effect on this was apparently in the July 21 BIOS (which is what I have), based on the changelist. I can upgrade my BIOS to the August 31 version, but I don't want to bother with it if it doesn't help.

I'm running Win7 RC if it makes any difference. And this has worked fine for me on on other Intel Atom-based PCs I have had.

Does anyone have any wisdom about why I can't wake my Fit-PC2 with Task Scheduler? I've tweaked every setting I can find to no avail, so I'm about to upgrade my BIOS as a last resort.

Jim

dieseljwt

Re: Why can't Windows Task Scheduler wake my fit-PC2?

Post by dieseljwt »

Installed the August 31 BIOS this morning. As expected, it had zero effect -- I still can't wake the PC via the Task Scheduler.

Has anyone gotten this to work, ever?

Jim

TimeScience

Post by TimeScience »

Have you had any success with this issue?

There are two core power management functionalities that I would think would be a must-have for a computer designed for a market that wants low power, 12v pc's ... The first is waking from hibernation on a schedule and the second is waking from a power loss. I know you can buy the auto-on one now, if you order direct. Is there an option for wake from hibernation?

Leonid

Post by Leonid »

Hi.

Due to hardware limitations, for now, fit-PC2 doesn't support wake-on-timer from Hibernation Mode.
However, wake-on-timer from Sleep Mode works properly.

Regards.
Leonid Firdman

dieseljwt

Post by dieseljwt »

Well, that's great. But my FIT-PC2 reports that only Hibernate Hybrid Sleep is supported on my system:

C:\Windows \System32>powercfg -a
The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby ( S3 ) Hibernate Hybrid Sleep
The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Leonid

Post by Leonid »

Hi.

There is some confusion regarding power state definitions.

Hibernation Mode is S4 whereas Sleep Mode (and its modifications) is S3.

Hybrid Sleep Mode is a variation of Sleep Mode that incorporates the strengths of Hibernate Mode. The RAM is copied to the hard drive before Sleep Mode is initiated, preserving the RAM contents in the event of a power loss.
You can read more on Hybrid Sleep Mode here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/justsean/archive/ ... sleep.aspx

Hybrid Sleep Mode is disabled by default. If you want to enable it, you should perform the following instructions:
1. Go to Control Panel | Power Settings.
2. Click on Change plan settings.
3. Click on Change advanced plan settings.
4. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailble.
5. Expend Sleep section.
6. Set Allow hybrid sleep option to On.

fit-PC2 supports both S3 (Seep) and S4 (Hibernate) Power States.
However, wake-on-timer option is supported in Sleep Mode only (Hybrid Mode can be enabled or disabled).

You can find Instructions for wake-on-timer from Sleep Mode here:
http://fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1387
Leonid Firdman

Return to “Windows 7”