Media Centre crashes my Fit-PC2

benjgil

Media Centre crashes my Fit-PC2

Post by benjgil »

If someone could help it'd be much appreciated - the issue is as follows:

We're trying to put a Fit-PC2 on which we've loaded Windows 7 Home Premium (newly purchased) through its paces for usage in Media applications, but using both Media Centre and Hauppage WinTV the picture quickly becomes blocky, then stops altogether and then freezes up the entire machine (HDD light goes out too).

Any ideas what's happening?
Is this a hardware fault, or is Fit-PC2 just not compatible with Media Centre/Hauppage?
Could there be another programme/process running which is causing the problem?
Could this be an issue with Windows 7 (being a new release with all the associated start-up bugs)?
Could this be down to the type of file we're trying to play?

If someone could help out it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Benjamin

irads

Re: Media Centre crashes my Fit-PC2

Post by irads »

- Make sure to use the display driver from http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/win7-drivers
- Try disabling Aero

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

Thanks Irad.

We'll try it with Aero disabled, but does that mean that Fit-PC2 hardware is incompatible with Aero or is it just potentially for the specific file type that we're using?

benjamin

irads

Post by irads »

Aero and media playback together at high resolution are difficult on the GMA500 with the current crop of drivers. Media playback improves with Aero disabled.

PartakePepsi

Post by PartakePepsi »

Hi. I have the same problem. I'm using Hauppauge DTV stick but have also tried with Freecom DVB stick to no avail, same blocky screen then eventually crashes with light going out.
I have tried disabling Aero and installed latest Windows7 driver, plus installed SD card configured for ReadyBoost, but to no avail, still same problem. I think it can only be a faulty Fit-PC so am sending mine back for testing, as running CPU monitor alongside it shows no maxing out of memory or CPU cycles.

sabrehagen

Post by sabrehagen »

The exact same thing happens to me. I don't even get the blocky screen. I think it's when the Fit-PC2 is under too much load it just crashes. Even browsing the recorded tv menu in media centre crashes my device!

I'm so disappointed that i'm going to sell mine. It doesn't work as an HTPC at all :(

irads

Post by irads »

Crashing is most likely due to Windows 7 display drivers.
I suggest using XP for multimedia, and allowing Windows 7 drivers a few months to mature.

That's one of the reasons we are positioning fit-PC2 with Windows 7 for business applications and XP for multimedia.

Drijfhout

Post by Drijfhout »

Media Center does'nt crash on my fit pc.
Just make sure you close all not needed apps and processes before starting it.
And like irads says, turn of aero.

I must admit Media Center is rather slow on my fit pc, but in defense of the fit pc :
Media Center sure looks nice, but its far to heavy for what it has to offer.
Now a days i just use TVersity, more options and twice as fast.

Return to “Windows 7”