Front mini-USB ports broken

dieseljwt

Front mini-USB ports broken

Post by dieseljwt »

Don't know if anyone else has this problem...

I am using the two "official" USB-A to mini adapters I ordered from Amazon.

When I try to boot using the two front USB ports for my keyboard and mouse, only one of the devices is detected (only the device plugged into the outside port, the port on the right as you look at the front of the fit-PC). If I remove the adapters and plug the devices into the rear USB ports of the fit-PC, they work fine.

When plugging in two USB external drives, both power up, but neither are mounted or otherwise recognized by the system. If I remove the adapters and plug them into two of the rear USB ports, all works perfectly.

Do I have a faulty unit, or is there an issue I can expect to be fixed?

Jim

yogev_ezra

Re: Front mini-USB ports broken

Post by yogev_ezra »

From Fit-PC2 User Manual:
http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/fit-pc2 ... nglish.pdf
USB
There are 6 USB ports – 4 USB A ports on the back and 2 mini-USB on the front. All ports support High-speed USB 2.0 - 480 Mbps.
Ports on the back are upside down – note when connecting USB plugs.
Note: Front left port supports USB 2 only and not USB 1 – good for connecting a camera or a thumb drive, not for a keyboard or a mouse.
This is because keyboard / mouse only support USB 1.1 so they are not detected under USB 2.0

dieseljwt

Post by dieseljwt »

Thanks, that explains the first scenario (keyboard and mouse), but not the second. These external drives both support USB 2.0, and neither are detected.

?

Jim

irads

Post by irads »

The disks may have power issue. It is recommended to operate external HDD from two USB ports simultaneously with a special cable - one for additional power.
The reason why they work with the USB on the back is that it may supply marginally more power.

dieseljwt

Re: Front mini-USB ports broken (SOLVED)

Post by dieseljwt »

Sure enough, when I connected one of the double-headed USB cables to both front ports, the external USB drive was recognized and mounted.

Kind of a funny setup with the 2.0-only on one, and the 2.0/1.1 on the other, but at least I understand it now.

Thanks for the timely info and responses.

Jim

Return to “Windows 7”