com and usb not initializing properly on Win7 (solved)

ebrinton

com and usb not initializing properly on Win7 (solved)

Post by ebrinton »

I am having intermittent strange behavior with two fit-PC2i units as follows:
Model #: Fit-PC2i, D2G-C2000-H-W-X7
S/N: 101117-579
S/N: 101117-580
BIOS: 9/14/2010
About 1 out of every 10 times the system is booted when I try to access Com1, the terminal client reports the com port is being used by another program. However, I am not running any other programs. I have tried two different terminal clients so I do not believe that is the issue. In addition, the system responds ERRATICALY when using the touchpad or clicking the touchpad button. The problem first became apparent after I installed Windows updates 4 days ago. However since the problem only occurs 1/10 boots it is likely the problem was there previously but went undetected. Because the behavior is intermittent it is difficult and time consuming to test. I have no idea at this point if it is a hardware or software (e.g. driver) issue. Has anyone experienced anything like this??? Can anyone offer any ideas on debug/test or should I just return these units?
One thought: The problem appears to be with the Com port and the keyboard/touchpad which is on a USB port. Could there be a race condition between USB and com driver installation which sometimes causes these drivers to get initialized improperly when Windows starts.

HELP...EB

ebrinton

Re: com and usb not itializing properly on Win7 fit-PC2i

Post by ebrinton »

New Information:
In the failure mode characters coming in on the com port are causing the erratic keyboard/touchpad behavior. If I unplug my com device from the com port the keyboard/touchpad behavior becomes normal. So some characters received on the com port are being interpreted as touchpad/keyboard activity. How thoroughly has this new com port on the fit-PC2i been tested with windows-7? Would Compulab have detected this issue if it only occurs 1/10 or 1/20 boots?

ebrinton

Post by ebrinton »

The problem I posted appears to be a "feature" of Windows 7 and Windows XP. If the OS sees certain activity on the serial port at boot it automatically interprets it as a serial mouse and installs the serial mouse driver on that port. There are many posts regarding this issue from users who have a GPS hooked to their serial port that continuously transmits GPS data. Here is a fix for Windows 7.

• Important: The instructions below contain steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information view the article in the Microsoft Windows help article: Back up the registry:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... e-registry

i. Click on start
ii. In the search box, type in regedit
iii. Registry editor windows opens
iv. Navigate to the location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sermouse
v. On the right hand side you would findstart
vi. Modify the value of the key to: 00000004
If you do not find the Start key then follow the below steps:
i. Right click on the blank space
ii. Select on the option New
iii. Click on dword 32-bit value
iv. Rename it to start
v. Right click on the key and select and modify
vi. Feed in the value: 00000004
vii. Restart the computer

This procedure was copied form the following link:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... ea8a21415d

Note: The same issue exists in windows XP however a different procedure must be used to fix it.

Sorry for not researching more thoroughly before posting on the FIT forum….At the time I had not yet identified the issue was related to the data input from the serial port.

irads

Post by irads »

Thank you for the tip.

Return to “Windows 7”