FitPC2 doesn't start with monitor plugged in

ninja

FitPC2 doesn't start with monitor plugged in

Post by ninja »

I have a FitPC2 that won't startup when the VGA adapter is plugged in and plugged into a monitor. I have to unplug the monitor, and wait a few seconds, then plug in the monitor and I usually catch it during the "starting windows". Anyone know why this might be happening?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: FitPC2 doesn't start with monitor plugged in

Post by gabrielh »

Can you please be more specific when you tell FitPC2 won't start up? Does it powers on? Can you access BIOS (press f2 several time immediately after power up)
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

ninja

Post by ninja »

It powers on, and it sounds like it's restarting continually, but I can't get the screen to show any video. It continually gives the screen's default message about trying to adjust to the pc's resolution. I can't get to bios. Same with different monitors. It's not consistent, but happens enough time I can't have this running on its own and expect it to restart successfully..

irads

Post by irads »

We identified that some displays power the HDMI 5V lines. This out-of-spec behavior (it is the computer which should power these lines) interferes with the operation of fit-PC2 and may prevent it from powering-up properly.

Instead of disconnecting the display try shutting it down when fit-PC2 is off and see if fit-PC2 wakes up. Then turn-on the display.

LeFrog

Post by LeFrog »

I'd like to make sure that this is a display issue and not a FitPC2i issue (D2G-C2000) - I have tried two monitors - Dell and HP - and each create the same problem - the only way to get it to boot is to disconnect and reconnect the DVI cable - and I use the DVI input on the monitors (both). Please advise of a workaround that would be better than unplug/plug - thank you

irads

Post by irads »

I would expect the behavior I described above to be the exception, not the rule, so having it on two displays may indicate another problem.
To diagnose see what happens when
- the display is powered off
- the display power is disconnected

LeFrog

Post by LeFrog »

Hello - if Display (Dell) power off - no difference
Display (Dell) power removed (unplugged) - no difference
no difference == FitPC2i waits (green light on - no disk activity or other -- and display shows nothing)

Unplug DVI at back or FitPC2i - re-install plug - and .. works

Moved to the FitVGA - works

Will try another DVI cable

irads

Post by irads »

I would assume incompatibility between fit-PC2 and the DELL display ie replacing fit-PC2 is not likely to solve the problem.
Specifically I can think of two possibilities - bear in mind that with open circuit DVI fit-PC2 boots fine
1. Wiring level issue - a circuit in the display is loading the DVI circuit of fit-PC2 - bringing it to unhandled state.
2. Data level issue - the EDID packet payload or I2C transaction itself with the display is not handled properly by fit-PC2. fit-VGA has pass-through DDC interface so the fact it is working with fit-VGA makes it less likely.

Return to “Windows 7”