Anyway to configure Fit-PC as network appliance w/o screen?

clickndeploy

Anyway to configure Fit-PC as network appliance w/o screen?

Post by clickndeploy »

Hi, I intend to use the Windows 7 version of Fit-PC2 as a network appliance attached directly to my customer's LAN without installing a monitor and keyboard. But I need to know how to configure the networking on Fit-PC2 remotely.

Some questions:

1). Can I boot Fit-PC2 without a keyboard and mouse attached?

2). How should I configure the networking for Fit-PC2 so that I can access it via say my laptop?

I figure that I can do it 2 ways.

1. Attach my laptop to Fit-PC2 using a crossover cable? Connect via RDP.
2. Configure an IP address on Fit-PC2 before I deliver it to the customer place. At the customer's place, attach the PC to LAN and connect to the IP address which I previously configured from my laptop or from one of the customer's workstations.

I know the first way is doable, but is the second way possible? I'm sorry if this question sounds ridiculous - I am a novice on networking.

Finally, if possible, I hope to make the process web based as I wouldn't like to reveal the fact that I am using Win7 Pro for the network appliance!

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Anyway to configure Fit-PC as network appliance w/o scre

Post by gabrielh »

Hello

For initial Windows 7 setup you will need to use a monitor, keyboard and mice. The alternate way is to install HDD on the FitPC2 with the setup ready on it.

After a W7 installation completed, pick some remote access software, and make sure you will know the IP address of your FitPC2 to connect to. You can make it static from the beginning, or figure it later by network analysis.

Now you can take the FitPC2 to the customer side and install it with nothing but power cord and network cable attached to it. To access the FitPC2 you should run a remote access client on the client machine.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

clickndeploy

Post by clickndeploy »

gabrielh wrote:Hello

For initial Windows 7 setup you will need to use a monitor, keyboard and mice. The alternate way is to install HDD on the FitPC2 with the setup ready on it.

After a W7 installation completed, pick some remote access software, and make sure you will know the IP address of your FitPC2 to connect to. You can make it static from the beginning, or figure it later by network analysis.

Hi Gabriel, thanks. I can setup FitPC2 first with a static IP, leaving gateway and dns server empty (because I won't know those until I am at the client's office), but will the FitPC2 be connected after I plugged into the client's network?

What I want to avoid is having to lug along the keyboard and LCD monitor. :)

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Hello
I can setup FitPC2 first with a static IP, leaving gateway and dns server empty (because I won't know those until I am at the client's office), but will the FitPC2 be connected after I plugged into the client's network?
I afraid not. You need to specify the gateway in order to connect to your workstation by IP address. You can also try third party tool like noip, and use a DHCP setup. Please note, we don't support noip, and this information is given AS IS.

Regards
Gabriel Heifets

clickndeploy

Post by clickndeploy »

Hi Gabriel, I configured everything in my office, but once I plug in FitPC2 into client's network, the static IP I configured disappeared! Do you know if this is a problem with the network driver?

gabrielh wrote:Hello
I can setup FitPC2 first with a static IP, leaving gateway and dns server empty (because I won't know those until I am at the client's office), but will the FitPC2 be connected after I plugged into the client's network?
I afraid not. You need to specify the gateway in order to connect to your workstation by IP address. You can also try third party tool like noip, and use a DHCP setup. Please note, we don't support noip, and this information is given AS IS.

Regards

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Hello

What do you mean by disappeared? When you enter to the netcard properties - the configuration is switched back to the DHCP mode, or there is another IP address? Please also check if the IP address given is the free one on your network

Regards
Gabriel Heifets

clickndeploy

Post by clickndeploy »

When I plug it into the network, it switched back to DCHP automatically. The previously configured IP address was lost, hence the server was not connected to the network. I had to use KVM to reconfigure the network. There's no IP address conflict.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Can you please check it with a monitor attached? Please reboot it several times to see if you are able to keep the IP address configuration
Gabriel Heifets

clickndeploy

Post by clickndeploy »

gabrielh wrote:Can you please check it with a monitor attached? Please reboot it several times to see if you are able to keep the IP address configuration

Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the server, but I was surprised that the preconfiguration of IP address didn't work.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

That seems like a software problem. Windows 7 should keep the IP settings setup
Gabriel Heifets

Return to “Windows 7”