Jethro

Installation and drivers

Post by Jethro »

I managed to install Windows 7 through the regular procedure
  • Set Default BIOS settings
    Disable audio in BIOS & save settings
    Boot from USB DVD & Install Windows 7
    Enable audio in BIOS
Everything seems to be working as far as I can tell (only slow video response, leads to a windows performance index of 1.0), except IR.
Installing the Windows XP drivers for it that are available seems to work, but afterwards the FITPC does not respond to an original MCE remote.

Anyone else have experiences / solutions?

ender

Re: Installation and drivers

Post by ender »

I installed Windows 7 without disabling anything in BIOS, though I did start the installer from within XP (because I want to have dual-boot, and same drive letters in XP and 7).

My rating is 2,3, with CPU being the limiting factor (graphics is rated at 2,7, although Aero is so slow it's unusable at 1920x1200).

For some reason Windows switches to clone display mode when I connect Fit-PC2 to another monitor, and I have to disable that through Intel's control panel, otherwise I'm limited to 1024x768 resolution.

Jethro

Post by Jethro »

Which drivers are you using for the display adapter? I have the default that Windows 7 uses.

ender

Post by ender »

I've got Intel driver from Windows Update.

rasseren

Post by rasseren »

In summary, here is a list of things that is "good to know" when installing Windows 7:

* Load bios defaults and disable audio (disabling of audio is necessary if the installs stops during the boot - I had one success and one where this hack was needed) (thanks Jethro)
* Make shure that the usb key is set as a boot device. Mine where for some reason excluded in the boot list.
* When installed, download the optimized Intel driver from: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_ ... bmit=Go%21
The driver is installed by updating the driver in "Device Manager". The setup.exe will complain about unsupported OS.
* Set output to "Digital Display" instead of "Cloned" (thanks ender)
* A driver for the missing AVR309 can be found here: http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?func ... ks%20Tools

Gael

Post by Gael »

Ahhh, thanks all!

I did a USB stick bootable with win7 and tried it without luck. It stopped when the "Start Windows" appeared.

Luckily you guys discoverd the disable audio solution to this - thanks!
Now my win7 is installing :)

Cheers,
Gael

auldane

Post by auldane »

Followed rasseren's instructions and installed win7 without a problem. Posting this now from my fit-pc attached to my tv! Thanks!

Notes: after the first reboot, the computer again booted to the usb stick. I had to change the boot order to go back to the hard drive, and installation continued as normal. This happened during a netbook install of Win7, too, so it's not specific to fit-pc. Also, the stick I had was recognized as a USB HDD, not a USB key, in the boot order. The BIOS even knew the make/model of the USB stick, which made identifying the issue easy.

asahi

Post by asahi »

Hi there.
I am trying to install Win 7 from USB stick (it's been tested on a different PC and worked just fine). However when installing on fit-pc2 the screen goes black a few seconds after "Microsoft Corporation" and progress bar are shown at the very beginning of the installation. I did try to reset BIOS settings and disable audio. Please advise.
Thanks

usermac

Post by usermac »

@ asahi - I too have this problem. I've been working for days to get this thing to boot. I see your note is back in August. I did get a tad farther when I disabled Audio oh and that was after I installed WIn7 to a Dell, then put it in the fit-pc2 but it think... I need to rethink this... ha ha ha

usermac

Post by usermac »

I am about to attempt this with a Mac as it touts it can be done: "How To Install Windows 7 On Almost Any Netbook - Windows 7 netbook installation - Gizmodo" http://bit.ly/8ErUfq

Return to “Windows 7”