How to install OS on USB stick?

flemmingski

How to install OS on USB stick?

Post by flemmingski »

I have tried to install Win 7 on a 4GB USB key formatted as USB HD. I come to a point where Win7 ask for a drive to install to. It cannot find the drivers for the USB key. Where ae they? Please, I need a little help.

mschaffer

Re: How to install OS on USB stick?

Post by mschaffer »

flemmingski wrote:I have tried to install Win 7 on a 4GB USB key formatted as USB HD. I come to a point where Win7 ask for a drive to install to. It cannot find the drivers for the USB key. Where ae they? Please, I need a little help.
How did you prepare the USB key? How did you simply make an active NTFS partition and copy the files to the USB key?

billyzelsnack

Post by billyzelsnack »

Is this possible? How long would it take to boot? Would there be any performance concerns as long as you kept memory usage reasonably low.

I ask because my intended application does not really need the storage capacity ( or added weight ) of a hard drive.

usermac

Post by usermac »

Do yourself a favor. Get the official Microsoft USB Boot application. I tried for days until I found this tool. Then I was done in no time.

billyzelsnack

Post by billyzelsnack »

Did you successfully install onto another flash disk or onto a hard drive? My fit-pc2 application needs to remain diskless. I currently have Linux running from a flash disk, but I would not mind having another flash disk to run Win7 if needed.

Return to “Windows 7”