160GB harddrive

Hard disks, SSD, SATA interface, external HDD
HotblackDesiato

160GB harddrive

Post by HotblackDesiato »

Is it possible to order bigger harddrives for the Linux models, for instance 500GB ? Microsoft restricts the usage of their WinXP for netbooks/nettops artificially to 160GB, but that shouldn't apply to boxes sold without Windows licence...

The fit-PC2 would be a very interesting machine as home server on Linux basis, but 160GB is much too restrictive.

HBD

tisoft_media

Re: 160GB harddrive

Post by tisoft_media »

I would be interested in the 500G model of http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/e ... r/5K500.B/

Are there any restrictions, that would hinder me using one of those drives?

HotblackDesiato

tisoft_media wrote:I would be interested in the 500G model of http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/e ... r/5K500.B/

Are there any restrictions, that would hinder me using one of those drives?
Probably not, but it does not make much sense to buy a machine equipped with a 160GB drive, then to buy an additional harddrive, to open the newly bought machine and replace the harddrive (probably losing the warranty), i.e. have a spare 160GB drive lying around, reinstall Ubuntu etc.... I just want to have the joice to buy a reasonable big harddrive already built into the box.

HBD
Last edited by HotblackDesiato on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irads

Post by irads »

Installing / replacing the hard disk in fit-PC2 is very easy and does not void the warranty.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

You can order a model without hard disk, and then just buy a bigger hard disk. You can also check with one of the distributors, whether they offer Fit-PC2 models with different disk sizes.

HotblackDesiato

yogev_ezra wrote:You can order a model without hard disk, and then just buy a bigger hard disk. You can also check with one of the distributors, whether they offer Fit-PC2 models with different disk sizes.
Aren't the models without harddrive equipped with SSD by default ? If not, that would of course be great.

HBD

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

The models without hard drive do not have any hard drive. Compulab does not provide SSD hard drives, only regular ones. Distributors might offer SSD hard drives.

AoRaToS

Post by AoRaToS »

I would buy one without a hard drive like I did with the slim but I have one concern, the Diskless has only the slow processor and no WiFi :/
That's a nogo for me

The disk however wouldn't go unused, you can buy a small 2,5" case and use it as an external disk anywhere you might need it.
But it would be better if the company had 2 products:

"FitPC2"
and "FitPC 2 Lite" which has the slower processor and maybe no WiFi

Then for each have a Windows, Linux, Diskless, No/Wifi (for the Non Lite) version.

What I would buy would be A FitPC2 with the 1.6, with WiFi and no disk cause I want to shove (gently :P) an SSD inside!
If I can't get that I will have to get it with Windows or Linux and change the disk, but probably with Windows cause I want it licensed if I use Windows on it...
I will also buy from a retailer anywhere in the EU to avoid paying the extra 80euro I payed to import the Slim :)

I am going to order it when it's available somewhere in the EU

HotblackDesiato

AoRaToS wrote:I would buy one without a hard drive like I did with the slim but I have one concern, the Diskless has only the slow processor and no WiFi :/
That's a nogo for me
I am going to order it when it's available somewhere in the EU
I have seen one vendor already accepting orders, who sells the diskless box with the fast chip:

http://www.fit-pc.info/webshop.htm

EUR 281 (incl. WLAN)

HBD

AoRaToS

Post by AoRaToS »

Just checked that out!that's awesome, I'll check how much it costs including shipping and order as soon as possible :D

EDIT:

Sub-Total: 281,00EUR
Flat Rate (Best Way): 25,00EUR
Fixed Payment Type Charge: 12,74EUR
19% BTW: 60,56EUR
Total: 379,30EUR

Still 100euro more :/

Return to “Storage”