View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 second hdd possible at fit-pc2i? 

Post second hdd possible at fit-pc2i?
Hello,
Is there a way (special adapter) to use two 2,5" harddrives at Fit-Pc2i S-ATA Port? Currently I'm using a 640GB HDD. I bought a 180GB SSD and like to use it for system-partition only. Is it possible to use a y-adapter or something similar for S-ATA (like in former time, where you could drive two IDE HDDs at one IDE-Cable)?
I don't want to use USB!

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:07 pm

Post Re: second hdd possible at fit-pc2i?
It's not the cable that allowed to use two IDE devices on one port, it's the IDE interface itself that was designed for up to two devices. With SATA this is not the case.
The "special adapter" you probably have in mind is called SATA port multiplier. It is not very cheap, not very small and not very easy to find (for example: http://www.addonics.com/products/ad5sarpm-e.php).
In the case of fit-PC2(i) it is also not very useful, because the hard disk controller in fit-PC2(i) is IDE with IDE-to-SATA bridge attached to it, so the speed of the internal IDE interface will be the bottleneck. If you connect 2 hard drives to it, the performance with both drives used simultaneously will be comparable to USB 2.0.
Most importantly, a port multiplier will likely not work with fit-PC2(i) at all, as it requires special support on the SATA controller side (which is a IDE-to-SATA bridge in this case, so I can't imagine how it could possibly work).

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:53 am
Site Admin

Post Re: second hdd possible at fit-pc2i?
No. Sorry

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]