Replacing pSSD

Hard disks, SSD, SATA interface, external HDD
darac

Replacing pSSD

Post by darac »

Hello all,

I have a Fit-PC2i with the 8GB internal SSD fitted (Sandisk pSSD-S2). I am experiencing occasional (once a day on average) freezes which I suspect may be the SSD doing housekeeping (the pSSD doesn't support TRIM, so I suspect it's doing stuff I can't control).

I would like to replace the SSD with a fully-featured 2.5" SSD now (something larger and with TRIM support). Is this just going to be a matter of removing the existing disk and installing a new one or is such an upgrade not possible?

I mainly ask because my Linux install sees an IDE interface (the SCH, using pata_sch driver), but no SATA interface. And yet hdparm reports the drive is using Serial ATA :?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Replacing pSSD

Post by gabrielh »

You can add additional SATA storage to FitPC2i, and use it instead of soldered in pSSD. Just set the right BIOS boot settings if you want to boot from your 2.5" SATA drive
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

darac

Re: Replacing pSSD

Post by darac »

Thanks gabrielh,

I took my machine offline today in order to replace the pSSD with a new Sandisk SSD.

However, upon attempting to take the pSSD out, I found that it appears to be glued (thermal pasted?) to the case. With a bit of gentle levering, I also can see that the pSSD appears to be soldered to a riser board.

So, actually, it looks like the pSSD is NOT replaceable. :x

I can't actually see whether the riser board is soldered to the motherboard, but I suspect this whole venture has turned out to be a dud. :(

Return to “Storage”