SATA external

Hard disks, SSD, SATA interface, external HDD
ah_fine

SATA external

Post by ah_fine »

Hello,

I'm wishing to connect a large amout of storage to mit fit-pc2.

Now it's known, that the internal disk connects via a PATA->SATA bridge. But how would fit-pc2 react if you wire an external eSata enclosure with an appropriate male/female adapter to the internal connector?
Especially if you want an enclosure with more than one bay and probably RAID or JBOD modes. Like for example this one: http://images.fantec.de/1401.en.pdf

Thx for explanations of all kinds :)

irads

Re: SATA external

Post by irads »

I cannot guarantee that the SATA port will support an eSATA device, since signaling vlotage level is more strict.
The specified device supports USB interface that will work, though at a slower transfer rate.

ah_fine

Post by ah_fine »

It's "common practice" to wire internal SATA Ports to eSATA, so let's assume the electrical side is working.

The question is how the fit-pc2 will see enclosures with more than one bay. Until yet I don't know if there could be some issues with the used SATA Port multipliers.

I think this detailed information about behaviour would be quite useful. AFAIK there is no documentation on the capabilities of the IDE-SATA bridge to build upon.

irads

Post by irads »

The part is Marvell 88SA8052 - "Serial ATA 3.0 Gbs Bridge".

Return to “Storage”