Life expectancy of the fit-PC2

Post freely any questions you have about fit-PC2
SPC

Life expectancy of the fit-PC2

Post by SPC »

As far as I know, the fit-pc hasn't been around all that long, even the first one, so I doubt many have had the chance to test the life span of one of these, but at the very least, what is an expected life expectancy for one of these? I was thinking of running ubuntu(minor experience before) because from what I understand, unix OSes are lighter then windows. my goal here is life expectancy, I'm just one of those people that don't like the concept of "planned obsolescence", and I don't need cutting edge technology, at most I want something reliable, that i can always go to, and do whatever I need(which isn't all that much, usually just a few tabs of Firefox, maybe some music, etc) I considered the fit-pc on the concept that less of a computer means less parts that could fail.

So what do you think? I was hoping 5+ years could be had with one of these, but tell me what you think.

fly

Re: Life expectancy of the fit-PC2

Post by fly »

Well, I don't have any long term tests, but in general I intent to use my hardware for quite a while. I plan for a general usage of three to five years. After that upgrading the unit, reusing it for different purpose or sticking with it are my options.

I still run an AMD Geode 500MHz PC (the same CPU is used in fitPC1), which was bought late 2007. I expected it to live for a minimum of three years. However, 500MHz Geode wasn't that much fun. I got lucky and got a fitPC2 for a prototype project, which I can now use for my personal belongings.

fitPC2 seems so far to be the PC I have wanted back in 2007 and I will try to stick with him at least until the EOL date of Ubuntu 10.04 -- which is 2013 for desktop usage -- or maybe even longer.

However, it's likely that I will have the chance to test some new low power PCs way before 2013 and so, I will use them and reuse fitPC2 for other purpose.

irads

Post by irads »

For fit-PC2 product lifespan check http://www.compulab.co.il/sales-and-sup ... -cycle.htm
It is guaranteed to be available at least until 2015.

RonM

Post by RonM »

I'd expect that the weak link would be the hard drive. The solid state components seem to be exemplary in build quality, and I'd think might last almost indefinitely. However, with mechanical components, the drives will be more vulnerable to failure. Hard to find a small drive that has more than a one year warranty.

I'd probably get a diskless if I were doing it again (same as I already did), and get the highest quality highest capacity drive I can find. And then religiously back up the files in preparation for possible failure after two or three years. Which is what I do.

R.

Return to “General fit-PC2 questions”