HDD not listed in "Computer"

Post freely any questions you have about fit-PC2
manoka

HDD not listed in "Computer"

Post by manoka »

Hello,

My HDD is listed in the "System Utilities", But not under "Computer" in the Ubuntu 10.04.
I got a message which reads that I'm running out of storage space (of the usable 4GB of the computers own HD). Apparently the HDD is neither recognised nor used.
What can I do to get the HDD to be recognised and used?

Many thanks in advance!

manoka

fly

Re: HDD not listed in "Computer"

Post by fly »

Is this a fitpc2i from the pilot batch with 4gb flash storage? If so, there is a thread in the ubuntu 10.04 board discussion this issue. It's solved by using a different kernel. If it's a complete new HDD, you most likely have to create a new partition on it.

manoka

Post by manoka »

fly wrote:Is this a fitpc2i from the pilot batch with 4gb flash storage?
What I described as "HD" is listed in the "Systems Utilities" as "4GB NANDrive-(PM)". It was programmed as "Master" by default.
fly wrote:If it's a complete new HDD, you most likely have to create a new partition on it.
What I described as "HDD" is a new WD "Scorpio Blue" Sata-HDD, which I programmed during the installation of the OS to be erased completely and to use the whole storage space.
This one was programmed as "Slave" by default.

fly

Post by fly »

Again., this looks like a fitpc2i from the pilot batch of the series. The solution is described at [1].

[1] http://fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1651

manoka

Post by manoka »

fly wrote:Again., this looks like a fitpc2i from the pilot batch of the series.
According to the Serial number it is.
fly wrote: The solution is described at [1].[1] http://fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1651
This thread appears to be just about the server version of Ubuntu 10.04. But I have the desktop version installed.
I also did what is recommended at http://fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1819.

fly

Post by fly »

The kernel changes found in the thread regarding the server version should apply tot he desktop version, too. However, I don't own the hardware to test it.

manoka

Post by manoka »

Sorry, I just remembered that I probably was wrong about the installation.
It is likely that during the installation also just the 4GB HD showed up, and that it was this one that I programmed to be erased and used in its entirety.
I'm beginning to wonder whether the WD HDD is defective. But then could it be that it is recognised (listed in the "Boot" section) in the System Utilities?

fly

Post by fly »

manoka wrote: It is likely that during the installation also just the 4GB HD showed up, and that it was this one that I programmed to be erased and used in its entirety.
Again... this is exactly the problem in discussed in the thread mentioned before:
I won't work with a batch file as the hard drive won't be detected at boot with the default vanilla on the iso.
I'm beginning to wonder whether the WD HDD is defective. But then could it be that it is recognised (listed in the "Boot" section) in the System Utilities?
This might be the case, and yes, most possible HDD errors still allow the drive to be listed..

manoka

Post by manoka »

fly wrote:Again... this is exactly the problem in discussed in the thread mentioned before:
I won't work with a batch file as the hard drive won't be detected at boot with the default vanilla on the iso.
Obviously I should not use Ubuntu 10.04 with this PC, as I'm far from being an IT expert, I have no clue what "batch file" and "default vanilla on the iso" and most of the other terms mean.
I tried the following without success:
"apt-get update
apt-get install linux-image-2.6.32-25-fitpc2i
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package linux-image-2.6.32-25-fitpc2i"

Return to “General fit-PC2 questions”