How is power on/off working

Post freely any questions you have about fit-PC2
Jon

How is power on/off working

Post by Jon »

Hi!

I have just found fit-pc2 and trying to figure out if it suits for my use.

My question is how is powering on or off done.

This is my scenario:
I want to use solar powered 110Ah batteries and separate timer to power down and up device at 2 hours interval, run my programs with Linux or Windows, connect net with 3G USB modem, send/receive data and then run shutdown from OS. Looping this i want to save power as much i can.

Now the question. Does fit-pc2 shutdown properly when OS shutdowns in Linux or Windows, even when it gets power. And does it boot again when next power cycle (power off to power on) appear?

And is there a Bios "power on" options, like start 12:00PM/Daily?

Jon

Re: How is power on/off working

Post by Jon »

Anyone please? No one shutdown their fit-PC2 ;)

fly

Post by fly »

Linux shutdown works, although I had some problems not powering off at all at first. This issue is gone now.

I think the USB-Ports are powered at all time, but I am actually not sure. The fitpc2-sbc reference guide shows 70mA to 90mA in "off" mode.

Jon

Post by Jon »

fly wrote:Linux shutdown works, although I had some problems not powering off at all at first. This issue is gone now.

I think the USB-Ports are powered at all time, but I am actually not sure. The fitpc2-sbc reference guide shows 70mA to 90mA in "off" mode.
Thanks fly!

Can someone test if USB-ports are still powered after shutdown? Hit usb hub with lights on it etc? If it does thats bad, because USB modem in my scenario.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

In FitPC2 rev. 1.21 USB is powered on when power is supplied to FitPC2.
In FitPC2 rev. 1.4 USB is powered off when FitPC2 is off.

FitPC2 "on" option (rev. 1.4 and "ON" modification on rev. 1.21) will always power on when it was off and power is applied. FitPC2 rev. 1.21 without "ON" modification will stay off and needs manual power button pressing.

Note however that you need first to cut the power off and then apply it back for FitPC2 to power on. If you turn it off but power remains applied, the only way to turn it on is to press the power button. So you need to disconnect the power after shutdown and then when you want to start it up, apply the power back.

Jon

Post by Jon »

yogev_ezra wrote:In FitPC2 rev. 1.21 USB is powered on when power is supplied to FitPC2.
In FitPC2 rev. 1.4 USB is powered off when FitPC2 is off.

FitPC2 "on" option (rev. 1.4 and "ON" modification on rev. 1.21) will always power on when it was off and power is applied. FitPC2 rev. 1.21 without "ON" modification will stay off and needs manual power button pressing.

Note however that you need first to cut the power off and then apply it back for FitPC2 to power on. If you turn it off but power remains applied, the only way to turn it on is to press the power button. So you need to disconnect the power after shutdown and then when you want to start it up, apply the power back.
Thanks yogev_ezra!
So rev 1.4 should work then! :D

To make power cycle, i cut power off and back on with Koekraf solar timer found here http://www.koekraf.com/en/products/sola ... scription/

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

Yes, if you use FitPC2 rev. 1.4 together with the device you linked, it will fit your demands.

Return to “General fit-PC2 questions”