need steps for ubuntu 10.04 and IR in FIT pc2

Post freely any questions you have about fit-PC2
nethaji

need steps for ubuntu 10.04 and IR in FIT pc2

Post by nethaji »

I need to install ubuntu 10.04 in fit pc2 . kindly provide me the steps ?

I need to activate the IR in fit pc2 . how ?

derek

Re: need steps for ubuntu 10.04 and IR in FIT pc2

Post by derek »

>I need to install ubuntu 10.04 in fit pc2

What operating system do you currently have installed on the fit-PC2, if anything?

nethaji

Post by nethaji »

Hi,
Initially i need to install Ubuntu 10.04.
I dont have anything in it.

derek

Post by derek »

Download an ISO for that operating system. Burn it to CD. (Clearly you need to do that on another computer.)

Connect a USB external CD reader to the fit-PC.

Boot the fit-PC from the USB CD drive.

Once the operating system has booted from the CD, choose the option to install the operating system. That assumes that you have already installed a hard drive in the fit-PC. Have you?

nethaji

Re: need steps for ubuntu 10.04 FIT pc2

Post by nethaji »

Hi,
Shall i proceed this following way to download from net .

http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1819

I think, the code which given in this above forum, need to run in command prompt , so that the ubuntu will get install from internet.
Am i right ?!!!!!!!!!!!

nethaji

Re: need steps for ubuntu 10.04 in FIT pc2

Post by nethaji »

Hi,
suppose if i got Windows Xp in fit pc2, but now i need to install ubuntu from net, what should i do ?

derek

Re: need steps for ubuntu 10.04 FIT pc2

Post by derek »

nethaji wrote:Shall i proceed this following way to download from net.
I don't think that that is installing by downloading from the net.

It applies a few updates from the net after the initial install. Some of those updates will be required in your environment and some not required, depending on what hardware in the fit-PC you will actually be using.

For example, if you are going to use the fit-PC headless (without a monitor attached), you may not care that out of the box you will only get slow, basic graphics capability.
the code which given in this above forum, need to run in command prompt
The updates are applied by going to the command prompt (shell).

In my very limited and partially successful experience so far, the initial install is done using a graphical user interface (and you need monitor, keyboard and mouse attached to do the initial install).

As far as installing Linux where you have Windows already installed, the first question is: Do you want to continue to have Windows installed? That is, do you want the PC to be dual boot? (where at boot-time you get a little menu to choose whether you want to boot Windows or Linux).

If you don't want dual boot then it may be best to reformat the disk and reset the partitions (if the disk is currently partitioned). WARNING: This will completely destroy Windows and all other files on the disk.

If you do want dual boot then I would strongly recommend doing a backup of all relevant files and settings under Windows before doing anything.

I have no experience in using dual boot on the fit-PC or using dual boot with Ubuntu. I suggest you look around to see whether there are any existing topics on dual boot and if not, it may be best to ask in the Ubuntu part of this board.

nethaji

IR in FIT pc2

Post by nethaji »

Whats the application of IR in fit pc2,
shall i shift to FITpc2i, does any difference will occur in their functioning ?

derek

Re: IR in FIT pc2

Post by derek »

nethaji wrote:Whats the application of IR in fit pc2,
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

The basic idea is that you can use a normal household IR remote control to send commands to the fit-PC. However, as far as I know, that is basically limited to "line of sight" and would have a very limited range e.g. same room.
shall i shift to FITpc2i?
No. Not if you need IR.

If you need 2 ethernet ports (built in) or a serial port (built in), you would want the fit-PC2i.

If you need IR (built in), you would want the fit-PC2.

That is not to say that you couldn't, for example, add a serial port to the fit-PC2 (via USB, or indirectly via ethernet, ...). etc.

Return to “General fit-PC2 questions”