fit pc2 problems...

Post freely any questions you have about fit-PC2
huw

fit pc2 problems...

Post by huw »

Hi! I got a pc2i 2g model about a year ago. I got it diskless, and installed a solid state drive and win xp. It worked fine up until yesterday, at which point it suddenly didn't work at all. (no apparent reason why it should have died, no earthquakes or anything, at least not that I noticed.) Anyway, it'll get about to the Atom flash screen (and if you hit F2 you can play around with all the fun bios options, endlessly diverting) but it won't boot past that, the screen goes blank and a cursor blinks in the upper left corner of the monitor.

Any suggestions as to what might be amiss? When I get a chance I'm going to try and make me a bootable usb drive to see if I can boot with that, but if anyone might have any insight on the above- is this most likely a problem with the processor? the ssd? I would appreciate hearing about it.

thanks!

prpixel

Re: fit pc2 problems...

Post by prpixel »

Sounds like the SSD to me. Are you using a Sandforce based SSD? Everything is working fine and then one day you turn it on and poof it's like the SSD doesn't even exist anymore. I had this happen to me four times over a six month period with drives from two different manufacturers in my big machine. A firmware update was released a few months back for Sandforce based SSD that fixes the problem. Unfortunately, once the SSD goes south, the only way to get it back is to send it in for a replacement.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Hello

Can you boot in to some Live system? Can you try live Mint distribution?

Regards
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

huw

Post by huw »

thanks for the responses.

okay, some more info. the BIOS seems to at least recognize the ssd- in that in the boot order list it shows "OCZ vertex 2", but it will not boot. (I think ocz is sandforce?)

I made a bootable Mint thumb drive, and the fit pc WILL boot off that, although only in console mode(the console mode only problem isn't all that surprising, when I first got the machine, I had originally planned on using Mint for my OS but never could get the gui to work on my monitor- hence XP).

I think this seems to suggest that it is in fact the ssd is the problem?

prpixel

Post by prpixel »

The OCZ Vertex 2 is based on the Sandforce 1500 controller. Can you install a mechanical drive, boot into Mint, and get a directory? I would also try to get a directory of the SSD. If the SSD has succumbed to the "Black screen of death" there is no way to get it back. Send it to OCZ for a replacement and ask them to make sure that it has the latest firmware on it (2.15). The "Black Screen of Death" was fixed in version 2.09.

I have a few OCZ Indilinx based SSD's, including one in my Fit-PC2, that have been running 24/7/365 for a few years without a hiccup. Do to the IDE to SATA bridge in the Fit-PC2, the extra speed of the Sandforce controller is moot.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

As prpixel suggested, please try with another HDD. You can also try to boot a Live Ubuntu version up to 10.10
Gabriel Heifets

huw

Post by huw »

ok, update. I purchased a usb hard drive enclosure, removed the SSD from the fit pc, and hooked up the drive to a different machine, which could read the SSD perfectly. After reinstalling the drive into the fit pc, again, nothing- after the bios flash screen, nothing at all, just a blinking cursor. This leads me suspect that the fault is in the fit pc. Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Dear Sir

Please try to boot a live system from a pen drive. Please update me with results

BR
Gabriel Heifets

RKz

Post by RKz »

If you are using a MLC drive try Kingston SSDNow-series. I have found them to be very reliable.
If you want more reliability you have to go for a SLC-drive.
Richard Klingspetz
System Technology Sweden AB

Return to “General fit-PC2 questions”