XP installed, no internet -- please help!

Post freely any questions you have about fit-PC2
RonM

XP installed, no internet -- please help!

Post by RonM »

Hi there,

I have been using a FitPC2 for several years now, as a music server. I bought it diskless and installed XP on my own 500gb drive. I have now upgraded to a 1 tb drive, and xp installed successfully.

However, I am getting no internet connection, despite ethernet connection. I don't know what to do. Is there a special driver package I need to install? I don't remember doing that before, but maybe I did.

Please help!

Ron

RonM

Re: XP installed, no internet -- please help!

Post by RonM »

Installing the ethernet driver (which location I found from an old post) solved the internet problem. However, the next seemingly intractable problem is that I am unable to do an update -- I installed XP SP2, and need SP3. Windows updates just will not work, even though all services appear to be set up correctly. I installed the chipset driver, but haven't felt a need to do the video drivers, everything is working that way.

However, not being able to install SP3 is a major problem. The windows update process seems to start, and throws an error message saying it couldn't do it. The error number brings up a series of suggestions about services, all of which I've followed. No luck.

I think it might be something specific to the Fit -- if anyone has ideas, would be pleased to see them.

R.

Will.Rubin

Post by Will.Rubin »

No guarantees of course but years ago (but not on a fit-pc) I took the opposite route and slipstreamed XP w/ SP3 and installed that way rather than trying to build up from the base XP. Search for nLite slipstream XP. There's the nLite site itself and a few tutorials returned in the search results.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

1. Please check your system time. Some update errors caused by outdated system time.
2. You can "embed" SP3 into your Windows XP setup disk, and try to reinstall your system.
RonM wrote:Installing the ethernet driver (which location I found from an old post) solved the internet problem. However, the next seemingly intractable problem is that I am unable to do an update -- I installed XP SP2, and need SP3. Windows updates just will not work, even though all services appear to be set up correctly. I installed the chipset driver, but haven't felt a need to do the video drivers, everything is working that way.

However, not being able to install SP3 is a major problem. The windows update process seems to start, and throws an error message saying it couldn't do it. The error number brings up a series of suggestions about services, all of which I've followed. No luck.

I think it might be something specific to the Fit -- if anyone has ideas, would be pleased to see them.

R.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Return to “General fit-PC2 questions”