Broadcom BCM70012 Mini PCI-e HD Decoder Chipset

WLAN adapter and miniPCI-express slot
srv1973

Post by srv1973 »

Hi all,

Would be great if there's any option to order the Fit-PC2(I) with one of these pre-installed:

In case you're wondering why, work will be released soon that will allow hardware assisted HD video decode using this card for XBMC. Since XBMC doesn't support VA-API (yet) it couldn't use the poulsbo chipset for this. Also, the poulsbo drivers on linux are apparently not well supported under anything but very specific Ubuntu versions.

See this http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55042 thread.

irads

Re: Broadcom BCM70012 Mini PCI-e HD Decoder Chipset

Post by irads »

We have tried BCM70012 with fit-PC2. It works. However, currently it does not provide better playback than the GMA500.

Since GMA500 drivers are work-in-progress there is a good chance it will provide the same capabilities in the long run.

srv1973

Post by srv1973 »

Hi,

I know that the GMA500 has enough power to handle all this. The point is that the Fit-PC2I would make an awesome box for XBMC, which doesn't (yet) support the VA-API interface for the GMA500. So I was hoping that I might be able to slot in one of those broadcoms and "jump the queue" a bit so to say.

srv1973

Post by srv1973 »

Hi,

Is the PCIe slot in the fit-pc2 free, eg. nothing else is installed in it by default? Is it possible for me to install this PCIe card into a fit-pc2 (or rather the fit-pc2i when it comes out) myself? Does this void warranty?

(XBMC has just officially announced support for this broadcom card, so if you want to use the fit-pc2 to run XBMC then this is currently the best/only way to get hardware accelerated video decoding support for XBMC).

irads

Post by irads »

fit-PC2i does not have available mini-PCIe - both PCIe ports are used for GbE. WiFi is through USB.

We do not recommend the Crystal HD miniPCIe, but it works fine with fit-PC2.
Replacing miniPCIe adapters does void the warranty

To have HW acceleration from XBMC see http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1255

Return to “WLAN and miniPCI-e”