DIY: FIT-PC2 with 2 antennas (VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY)

WLAN adapter and miniPCI-express slot
yogev_ezra

DIY: FIT-PC2 with 2 antennas (VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY)

Post by yogev_ezra »

*** NOTE: Doing the MOD described below will VOID your FIT-PC2 warranty ***

We have tried to install a second antenna in the FIT-PC2 to see if there is any wireless performance improvement or better signal strength. This is how it looks like when the work is complete (I will post an entire DYI guide soon)
Attachments
FIT-PC2_DYI_two_antennas.JPG
FIT-PC2_DYI_two_antennas.JPG (47.29 KiB) Viewed 7967 times

ypnos

Re: DIY: FIT-PC2 with 2 antennas (VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY)

Post by ypnos »

Waiting for your DIY guide! It seems to be fairly easy to do it, but would be interesting in how to route the cable etc.

mitchubus

Post by mitchubus »

Would it be possible for you to post the instructions? I'd be very interested in doing a similar mod, i.e. placing a proper wireless-N card in the miniPCI express slot and adding a second antenna. I am really looking forward to your instructions... thanks!

mitchubus

Post by mitchubus »

Alright, I reproduced this mod with a SparkLan WPEA-110N wireless card. Cable routing is no problem in the base. There are three things to watch out for:
a) be careful when you remove the motherboard as the wireless card is glued to the outher case with some tape. so be gentle.
b) inserting the antenna as in the picture will most likely render your HDMI->DVI cable worthless. There may be a better place to mount it.
c) The antenna cable has to be long enough. The one i bought was too short but thankfully the one provided with the fit-PC2 turned out to be long enough. so you may have to swap them around.

Cheers,
P

Return to “WLAN and miniPCI-e”