WIFI disconnecting apparently at random

WLAN adapter and miniPCI-express slot
irads

Re: WIFI disconnecting apparently at random

Post by irads »

We try to help as much as we can.
The WLAN chipset is by RaLink (which also write the driver)
WLAN module is by QCOM

As the system integrator we have limited visiblity into the internals of the WLAN subsystem.

We were not yet able to reproduce the disconnections in our lab.

gmv100

Post by gmv100 »

Hi ebrinton,

Do you have a wired ethernet connection when you are performing your tests? I experienced similar disconnections after installing Windows on my Fit-PC2. The connection was very slow and would disconnect periodically. Choosing Repair from the wireless menu (I was using the Windows zero configuration wirelss control) would restore the link.

I found that removing my ethernet cable solved these problems. Since then the wireless connection has been fast and stable. The ethernet connection was linked to a linux server which has itself has a tempremental wireless connection, and the Fit-PC2 was picking up an IP address and routing through the linux server. I don't know why this caused the Fit-PC2 wireless link to disconnect, but it did seem to be related.

prpixel

Post by prpixel »

Is it possible to replace the internal wifi card?

irads

Post by irads »

Technically yes, but this is not covered under warranty.

rjeffb

Disconnects, but NOT at random

Post by rjeffb »

Not only do I have this problem, I can reproduce it at will. I have Power Savings = CAM and Multimedia = Enabled as directed.

If I try to bulk copy enough large files for the copy operation to take more than about five minutes, the wireless connection will be lost after about three minutes, every time. The situation is: I have the Fit set for sharing a folder, and I am using a second computer to copy files from that computer (in Explorer) to the shared Fit folder (in Network Places). About 30 seconds after the Fit indicates that the network connection was lost, the other PC gives up trying to copy and pops up an error that the copy operation could not be completed. Clicking on the Fit balloon to "fix this problem" instantly re-connects. Since the copy operation has now bombed, having a batch file to reconnect is obviously not a solution.

Also, it appears that if I copy enough small files so that Explorer indicates that it is calculating (i.e. the copy operation does not begin immediately), the Fit's network connection also bombs, although I haven't checked that enough times to ensure it is certain.

BTW the driver link embedded in the 10/1/09 post (first page of this thread) is broken with a 404 error.

irads

Post by irads »

BTW the driver link embedded in the 10/1/09 post (first page of this thread) is broken with a 404 error.
Fixed. A new driver was released since. You may check with the new driver at http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/xp-drivers/

rjeffb

Post by rjeffb »

Yes, that's the driver I was using, I just wanted you to know the link was broken. It is with the latest driver that network connection is lost during lengthy file transfers.

rko300

Post by rko300 »

I have also the Wifi problem with my brand new XP fit 2 pc. My fit pc is connected to the TV and connected via wireless to internet. I have had an other old xp computer in this role in the same location more than 2 years without any problems - so the problem is in this fit pc.
The system works fine some time but then stucks.Windows shows the system is connected and signal is good or excellent but browser can not find the internet.
When I disconnect and reconnect the connection it works for a while but is then stuck again - I try to watch a TV stream.

Need help urgently - now this is useless for me.

Return to “WLAN and miniPCI-e”