Audio bleed-through of electrical noise

USB ports capabilities
irads

Re: Audio bleed-through of electrical noise

Post by irads »

Seems like an issue with USB streaming. Since you are not using factory-installed OS I suggest trying to bring it as close as possible to default settings:
- Update BIOS to latest revision
- Install chipset driver

Check if other USB devices interfere with streaming -
external devices - disconnect
IR receiver - disable driver

Jim

Post by Jim »

Irad, I am using the factory-installed WinXP Home and haven't done any OS reinstalls or mods other than configuring basic properties; perhaps I was misunderstood . . . I tested the USB adapter with *other* PCs here that are running WinXP Pro (I have no other systems running XP Home).

I'll check around here for BIOS updates and try your other suggestions; have there been revisions to the Fit-PC2 since shipments started in June?

Thank you,
Jim

irads

Post by irads »

A new BIOS was released on 21-Jul.

AoRaToS

Post by AoRaToS »

If you're still experiencing this, try unplugging the HDMI cable and see if the noise is still there, if it's not, buy a better quality shielded HDMI cable, they do run quite expensive though..

Jim

Post by Jim »

AoRaToS, believe it or not, the audio hum actually increases when I unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the Fit-PC2.

At this point, I've sort of given up. I've made no headway getting the USB 5.1 audio adapter to work (it's not a hardware problem, the FitPC2 is just not compatible with it using the WinXP Home as shipped) and can't seem to suppress this hum.

Fortunately, I stream my music digitally to a Squeezebox network, so this problem is noticeable only when I access the FitPC via my HDTV for web browsing and other HTPC duties. For now, I just keep the volume low enough so it's not too obnoxious.

AoRaToS

Post by AoRaToS »

Weird...
There's a CPU option in the BIOS that may fix it, irads posted it somewhere here...

Jim

Post by Jim »

Thank you. I tried that BIOS setting change in your link, but it made no difference after I reinstalled my USB 5.1 audio adapter (using the optical connection) - still getting very distorted audio at any volume setting, as before.

So for now I guess I have to go back to built-in 2.0 analog output and just live with the background hum. Will keep checking in here to see if there are other things I can try.

Return to “USB”