passive speaker directly connected, which impedance needed?

Audio codec and audio ports
ralf

passive speaker directly connected, which impedance needed?

Post by ralf »

I would like to connect a normal passive speaker directly to the audio out connector. It should be a very small one, just to get out some hearable noice.
What impedance the speaker must have, that the output is not overloaded?

Regards Ralf

irads

Re: passive speaker directly connected, which impedance needed?

Post by irads »

Check Realtek ALC260 specifications for that.

belcat

Post by belcat »

It's not clear to me from the specifications if a speaker can be connected directly. In fact, it doesn't seem to be mentioned, so maybe it can't do it?

... I can't get any sound of my Fit-PC2 running under Linux, but I am not sure if it isn't some sort of software problem. Will try hooking up to an amplifier next.

Stough

Post by Stough »

The data sheet for the ALC260 (page 69) indicates that the analog output impedance is 1 ohm for amplified output and 200 ohm (typical, maximum 47k ohms) for the non-amplified output. My machine is on its way in the mail so I cannot tell for sure, but I suspect that since CompuLab calls the audio output line level, it is probably the non-amplified output. This may be to avoid the current consumption of the audio amplifier on the ALC260.

A 200 ohm output may well work with iPod type earphones, but would not have enough power for passive speakers. You will probably need an audio amplifier between the line output and the speakers.

Bruce

Return to “Audio”