Boot without monitor

linusn

Boot without monitor

Post by linusn »

I use my FitPC2i as home server/mediaplayer.
As monitor I use my 40" LCD TV, and everything works ok as long as the TV is on while booting. If the TV is not on, Windows does not recognize it and selects a really low resolution and color depth.
When I then turn the TV on, I have to reboot the computer to get the resolution and color depth OK.
Also, accessing the FitPC through Teamviewer does not seem to work if the TV was not on while booting.

Is there a solution for this?

yogev_ezra

Re: Boot without monitor

Post by yogev_ezra »

There are 2 display drivers: GMA and IEGD.
GMA offers better performance but needs display connected at the boot time to get the proper resolution.
IEGD does not need display connected but offers slightly worse performance.

linusn

Post by linusn »

Ahh, very informative.
The only drawback is that Iwant to use the FitPC as a media player too.
Will try the IEGD driver. Proper booting is higher priority.

linusn

Post by linusn »

Installed the IEGD driver. The computer now boots without monitor.
With this driver, I can only select one resolution (960*540). A bit low...
Is there a solution for that issue too?

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

First you should uninstall GMA driver properly. If you install IEGD driver after uninstalled GMA, you should be able to select any resolution (basically even those unsupported by your monitor, although they will not work of course). If the resolution you want does not appear in IEGD basic properties, just go to Advanced settings and it should be there. If you still do not manage after my explanation, I will post a screenshot (requires extra work from me).

linusn

Post by linusn »

I have properly uninstalled the GMA driver, and installed the IEGD version.
There is only one resolution available in the basic settings, but in the advanced settings there are a lot of resolutions. If I select another resolution and lick apply, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds, and then turns on again - with the old resolution. I have found no way of setting a new resolution.

I was thinking maybe it is a problem with the IEGD driver. As far as I know, this driver can be customized by the manufacturer. Maybe it's not 100% correct?

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

It looks like you are choosing resolutions not supported by your monitor.

As I said above, with IEGD driver you are able to choose anything, even resolutions not supported by your monitor. Try to change the refresh rate as well when you change the resolution. Or refer to your monitor user manual to find out what resolutions it supports.

As far as I know, there is no problem with IEGD driver, and all complaints about this driver turned out to be user errors in the end.

linusn

Post by linusn »

I have a 40" full HD LCD screen (have been using it at 1080p before), and have tried every resolution and refresh rate available. Nothing works.
Also, with the GMA driver, I could use almost any resolution.
This is not a problem with the monitor.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

If you plug another monitor into Fit-PC2i, do you experience the same problem? To rule out IEGD problems, try another monitor.

I would also try a complete XP reinstall + installing IEGD from scratch without installing GMA first (to rule out improper GMA uninstall).

Return to “Display driver”