Screen resolution (via UltraVNC)

RonM

Screen resolution (via UltraVNC)

Post by RonM »

I've been using my Fit2 for over a year now, and it's been on 24/7 as a music server. Not a hint of a problem. But I got tired of connecting/disconnecting keyboard and display, so decided to run it headless, controlled over the network with UltraVNC. Works like a charm.

Aside from the fact that the display settings revert back to 640 x 480 under some circumstances, rendering the remote control impossible -- portions of windows are not displayed, controls aren't available as a result, etc.

If I connect the Fit to the monitor directly, I can restart it and the display will reset to the monitor's default-best resolution (1400x900). But if the Fit restarts without a direct connection to the monitor (and under some other circumstances it seems) the display will reset to 640 x 480.

Is there a way to force the display settings to the specific resolution, even in the absence of a plug/play connection at boot?

Ron

irads

Re: Screen resolution (via UltraVNC)

Post by irads »

For headless operation you should install IEGD display driver.

Ryelands

Post by Ryelands »

Is there a way to force the display settings to the specific resolution . . . ?

As Irads notes, the problem is resolved with the IEGD driver though you need to have the monitor connected first time round. There's already a thread on the forum on this. See:

http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=601

Incidentally, I made a note for a friend of the UltraVNC settings I use for the FitPC2. In case they're any use or you have a good reason for doing it different (say why . . .), they are:

Go to Start > Programs > UltraVNC > Edit Settings, launch the utility and set as follows:

Network tab: Check “Enable Incoming Port” and “Auto”; uncheck the rest;

Security tab: Enter a password, uncheck all other boxes;

Input/file transfer tab: uncheck all the boxes;

Connections tab: Set Idle timeout set to 14400 seconds, uncheck “Display Query Window”, set “Multiple connections” to “Keep existing” and “Disconnect” to “Do nothing”;

Screen Capture tab: Check “Poll Foreground Window”,“Low Accuracy”, “Use system hookdll”, “Use Mirror Driver”, “Show Primary Display” and “Remove Wallpaper”. Uncheck the rest;

Misc/Logging tab: uncheck all the boxes.

These settings go for speed at the expense of display quality. I tried several utilities and found UltraVNC the best in this case. IMHO, the "Mirror Driver" is worth installing.

HTH

Dave

RonM

Post by RonM »

Where is the correct IEGD driver? There are some links from 2009 in the threads; the current download page has a link to the Intel edc site, and then there are several options for downloading, and I'm not sure what the correct one is.

R.

fly

Post by fly »

EMGD: http://edc.intel.com/Software/Downloads/EMGD/#download
IEGD: http://edc.intel.com/Software/Downloads/IEGD/#download

arch: "System Crontroller Hub (SCH) US15W" or gma500 or poulsbo

Leonid

Post by Leonid »

Leonid Firdman

RonM

Post by RonM »

Leonid, thank you. This is what you have posted on the sticky from 2009.

It would be helpful if the path on the downloads page was to this file; as it stands, it is to the Intel site, and the generic driver.

Ron

Return to “Display driver”