Boot from MiniSD cardreader?

advid

Re: Boot from MiniSD cardreader?

Post by advid »

I've installed Linux on a microSDHC 8Gb with an USB adapter (the Mandriva One installer doesn't see miniSD card as an available disk, but with USB it's ok).

The bootloader is GRUB and it boots when the microSDHC is in the USB adapter.

When I use the same microSDHC in a miniSD adapter it does not boot. It seems there is no attempt to boot on it, GRUB stage1 isn't loaded.

The BIOS has SD boot option active and SDIO enabled.
The miniSD adapter works when an OS is loaded via PXE or USB key.

Where does the problem come from ? Any suggestion ?

irads

Post by irads »

Most likely the SD card is not configured to be bootable correctly.

advid

Post by advid »

irads wrote:Most likely the SD card is not configured to be bootable correctly.
Well...
If you could elaborate about how it should be configured :|

I think my BIOS settings are ok (see above).
The SD card boots when used in a USB card reader.
When the SD card is in the miniSD slot:
- GRUB (the real one, just after a usb boot) can't see SD card (completion test).
- grub (the one from OS command line, once the system is started, doesn't see the SD card (same test).
- I can read the SD card, mount, etc.

I'm really stucked here, if anyone with a success story about SD card boot could tell me were I should look, I would be grateful.

irads

Post by irads »

This does not look to be fit-PC2 specific. The problem may be with setting flags correctly in the SD card MBR.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

I had success with booting floppy images from SD cards. I used Win32DiskImager to write floppy image on SD card, and then the card was bootable in Fit-PC2 with latest BIOS (April 2010).

The problem was the images themselves - most images did not know how to handle the fact that they are booted from SD card, so they got stuck in the middle of the boot. This is not Fit-PC2 problem however, as the same image could not be booted properly anywhere. So far I managed to boot only 2 images fine:
1) Compulab Embedded DOS image that is supplied with BIOS Flash tool (128MBDOS.IMG)
2) Super Grub Disk floppy image (sgd_floppy_1.30.img). http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

This is already some progress, and I guess if you tinker around with Super Grub Disk, you can force it to boot almost anything. If I have more time in the future, I will try it and post here.

Return to “fit-PC2 BIOS”