"Installed O/S" setting?

SWB

"Installed O/S" setting?

Post by SWB »

What does the "Installed O/S" setting actually do?

Also, what is the correct setting for Windows 7, "WinXP" or "Other"?

Thanks!

mbirger

Re: "Installed O/S" setting?

Post by mbirger »

The question is not clear

SWB

Re: "Installed O/S" setting?

Post by SWB »

Ok, I'll try again.

In the BIOS settings, on the Advanced screen, there is a setting labeled "Installed O/S." The available choices are Win95, Win98, WinMe, Win2000, WinXP, and Other.

I would like to understand the purpose and function of this setting. What does it do? In what ways does the BIOS behave differently depending on which value is chosen?

Also, what value should I choose for Windows 7? Windows 7 is not any of those, so maybe "Other" is the right choice. But Windows 7 is similar to Windows XP - especially in comparison to the other choices, so maybe "WinXP" is the right choice.

And what about older operating systems like DOS or even BeOS? Those aren't listed, either. Is "Other" the right choice for those, or would "Win95" be a better choice?

Is "Other" intended to make the PC more compatible with older, legacy operating systems? Or is the the opposite, with the specific named OS's being the legacy choices, and "Other" is intended for modern OS's? Or is something else going on entirely?

If I knew what the difference was between the choices, I could make an informed decision based on my knowledge of the particular operating system I'm installing. But it's a completely opaque setting that offers no clue as to what it's actually doing.

Return to “fit-PC2 BIOS”