View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Wake on Time 

Post Wake on Time
Hello,

I´m interested in a fit-pc2. Smart design and low engery costs.
I need a computer which automatically starts early in the morning to execute some standard workflows (backup, dump,... webconnection...)

My actual shuttle-pc ca wake up automatically by bios wake up e.g. at 7am and start the system.

Is this possible here, too?

Regards
Mike

Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:01 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Wake on Time
Currently wake-on-timer is not supported.
Note that fit-PC2 power consumption when idling with the disk stopped is just 4W - you may consider not turning it off overnight.

-------------------------

Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:24 am

Hi,

thats a really good argument. But I think 24/7 run is very strong for hardware... isn´t it?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:49 am

Typically, electronics fail due to repeated warm up, cool down cycles.

Leaving a computer always on will actually extend the life of the computer, compared to turning on and off daily.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:37 pm
Site Admin

In most computers, the elements that suffer from 24/7 operation are mechanical - mostly fan bearings wear and accumulation of dust in airways.
In fit-PC2 the only mechanical element is the hard disk. You may set it to standby on inactivity (saving power as well) and worry no more about life expectancy.

-------------------------

Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:49 pm

Wake-On-Time seems not supported at the moment. But you can use the Win XP Task planner to wake the fit-PC2 from StandBy. This works with BIOS version from 2009-08-31.
But its a little strange - the desired task is not started, instead the fit-PC2 seems to perform a normal boot from scratch. However, the effect is the same as a wake-on-time (even better since with wake on time you normally cant plan multiple boots a day).
Just add your app to the autostart, plan a dummy-task with the desired wake-up-time(s) and make your app put the fit-pc2 back to StandBy when it's done. See http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=601 for operation without monitor attached.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:31 pm

Looking at the detailed changelists for the BIOS, wake-from-standby is supposedly fixed in the July 21 BIOS, not the August 31 version.

The reason I'm being picky about this is that I have July 21 BIOS and my Task Scheduler (Windows 7) can't wake up my Fit-PC2 from hibernate. I haven't figured out how to flash new BIOS yet (I found the instructions, but the recommended app crashes on Win7).

Jim

Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:22 pm

Up since I met the same problem.

So, if you're still searching after a solution:

1/ run the cmd.exe as Administrator
2/ type "powercfg -h off" to disable hibernation
3/ Through the power control panel for the power profile you chose, you have to enable the "wakeup timers" that will allow a scheduled task to wakeup the computer
4/ (Optional) Disable password when waking up if needed
5/ Create a "wake up" scheduled task by:
- choosing the time you want
- choosing "wake up computer to perform the task" (I'm not sure if this is the correct sentence;-)
- pickup whatever action you want
6/ Create a "sleep" scheduled task by:
- choosing the time you want
- running the script "rundll32 powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState" (it should hibernate but since it is deactivated it will sleep)

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:25 am

Hello,

I was asking the same question. I'd like to tell my computer to boot at a given date. For example, I'd like to say :

"Boot at 5am every day".

Please note that the computer will run on a big battery (several car's batteries), in a remote area. Energy is very precious.

Right, in 2012, does the BIOS support this feature?

Does the Fit-PC3 support this feature?

Note : I run Debian.

Thanks,

Denis

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:01 pm
Site Admin

There is no such a BIOS feature. You can use a Windows task scheduler, but in that case, the computer will be in a Sleep mode, and not powered off

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next