Does XP version come with the right HD video drivers?

Video playback in Windows
DaveSemm

Does XP version come with the right HD video drivers?

Post by DaveSemm »

I got mine today (1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, XP Home SP3, 160GB hard disk) & used it with a 1024x768 LCD monitor & it worked perfectly for standard PC applications and low-res video.

I then plugged it into a Sony full HD TV HDMI input and set it for 1920x1080. The first problem is that the screen dimentions are wrong: the Windows taskbar (bottom of screen) isn't visible, and when I maximise any application, the title bar, status bar and left and right edges are all off of the screen. e.g. open NotePad, maximise it, and type 1234567890 over & over. 1234 is not visible on the left, and 5678 is not visible on the right, and the title bar and status bar are not visible.

Next, tried to play a DVD - Windows Meda Player couldn't play it. I installed CyberLink PowerDVD & tried again: the quality is terrible. Then tried a Blu-Ray disk: it took minutes of Not Responding before it gave up.

If the Windows drivers are right, this box is not for playing video. The Blu-Ray advisor app that comes with the LG external Blu-Ray drive says there are a lot of problems (CPU speed, type, drivers, etc.)

spark240

Re: Does XP version come with the right HD video drivers?

Post by spark240 »

Dave, I have the same problem on my 42" plasma, read the thread " just got it" we are trying to resolve it, try pressing F8 on startup, then enable vga mode then try it on your Sony.

DaveSemm

Post by DaveSemm »

The very first time you start it up you have to start XP in VGA mode so that you can then change XP to 1920x1080, which is what I did. So both the TV & the PC are in 1920x1080 mode, but the margins are cut off - the picture is bigger than the TV screen (not smaller). I had the same problem on my desktop PC with a one year-old display adaptor that had a DVI output and a 1920x1080 mode. I later on bought a cheap display adaptor with HDMI output & it display Windows applications perfectly, and plays Blu-Ray disks just as well as my Blu-Ray player.

I am suspecting (and hoping) that this is a driver problem - the Fit-PC2 is supposed to do HD in hardware.

spark240

Post by spark240 »

When you say adapter, do you mean a simple gender changer?, I am told that this will not work as it just swaps the pins over but does nothing for the signal type.It is indeed a frustrating problem.

irads

Post by irads »

Most DVI displays adjust themselves automatically to display the 1920x1080 image perfectly. Too bad some TVs don't have this capability when it comes to HDMI interface.

Dave, can you check with your TV menu if it has some picture position/ scale adjustments? Also look for NR(native resolution) support.
You may post a photo of how the image looks on your TV. If we see that many TV models "agree" on the same image deviation we will try to tweak the driver timings.

DaveSemm

Post by DaveSemm »

We are having a 2nd problem with the display: Using a 15" LCD panel, with DVI input at 1024x768, the display occassionally blanks out. The distributor says that they are aware of this, they think it is a driver problem & are trying to get updated Windows XP drivers for it. I will wait to hear what they come up with.

irads

Post by irads »

Please be more specific about the problem. How often, does it involve a specific application, under load, etc.
Generally there is no display issue with fit-PC2 at this setup.
We cannot rule-out a specific problem with your unit.

DaveSemm

Post by DaveSemm »

If I wait for Windows to sleep, then press the power button to turn it back on, the Windows login screen comes on, then after about 10 seconds, it goes black for about 5 seconds, comes back on, and repeats this a few times and then stays on for longer. But it carries on going black occassionally, maybe every 10-30 minutes for about 5 seconds each time.

I thought this was a hardware problem, but it didn't do this when plugged into an HD TV, and when I asked the distributor, they said that it was a known issue with the driver.

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

To add our tuppence, we've had the same issue with the picture from fit-pc2 going off the edges of the screen of our 42" widescreen samsung TV.

Benjamin

irads

Post by irads »

Sounds to me like a hardware problem.
Please email rma@fit-pc.com

Return to “Video playback”