Ubuntu 9.10 and WLAN ?

Blueslow

Ubuntu 9.10 and WLAN ?

Post by Blueslow »

HI

Anyone out there had any success getting WLAN working?

/Klas

jens

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 and WLAN ?

Post by jens »

Yes, it worked fine for me. The driver can be fetched at
https://launchpad.net/~markus-tisoft/+archive/rt3090

Jens

Blueslow

Post by Blueslow »

Hi Jens

Thanks for the info.

I actually found them before but had some problem download.
That is solved now.

The driver works partly. It seems to work when I have no protections and WEP but not WPA or WEP. But it doesn't work with WPA PSK.

Maybe I have missed something in the configuration, regarding WPA

Any tips?

/Klas

viatcheslav

Post by viatcheslav »

Hi guys!

I have the same issue. Cannot make it working with WPA. Has anyone figured out how to make it working with secured networks in 9.10?

viatcheslav

Denis

Post by Denis »

Hi all,
Provided kernel 2.6.31-34-fitpc2 contains all necessary drivers for Ralink RT3090 wireless card. No need download anything from external repositories. Wi-Fi should work out of the box. For example I have successfully connected to:

Code: Select all

Address: 00:1D:7E:FB:D4:11
Protocol:802.11b/g
ESSID:"compulab"
Mode:Managed
Channel:6
Quality:42/100  Signal level:-73 dBm  Noise level:-83 dBm
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:54 Mb/s
IE: WPA Version 1
        Group Cipher : TKIP
        Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK 
Compulab's Linux support

tel

Post by tel »

When you say you were able to connect, are you using the Network Manager, or wpa_supplicant from the command line?

My fit-pc2, which arrived yesterday, unfortunately didn't work with my WPA connection "out of the box." I'm hoping that upgrading the OS to 9.10 (from 8.04) will help. My home has a hidden SSID, WPA, and MAC-filtering enabled (yes, I added the device's MAC address to the list of acceptable clients), so I don't think my setup is too unusual. Still, no matter what I do, I can't connect with either DHCP or with a static IP address.

tisoft_media

Post by tisoft_media »

I have fixed the driver. It should now provide WPA. Works for me at least. :)

elliott2

Post by elliott2 »

I'm fairly new to Linux and I was interested in getting the updated driver but I have a wireless set up. I can get the driver on a different system and bring it over on a USB thumb drive. The wireless in 9.10 drops after about 30 seconds after booting so doing it via the network is a little problematic. The wireless in 8.04 works fine (I'm on that now) but I don't know the procedure to update the WLAN driver when the WLAN is down. I went to the web site and followed the instructions but those instructions require an operational network. I don't have access to the wired lan connection only the wireless. I did get the wireless working long enough to get the fit pc2 updates but the WLAN updates are not going so well. The WLAN in 9.10 will activate when I boot the system but after 30 seconds to a minute it drops (sometimes a little longer), sometimes it comes back on sometimes it doesn't. Is there a manual method of "fetching" the driver and installing it. I've inserted the links in the sources.list file but when I do a apt-get update it complains about the auth key. According to the instructions on the web site, in order to get an auth key I need to have a active connection to the web. It's kinda the chicken and the egg thing. Any help would be appreciated.

jens wrote:Yes, it worked fine for me. The driver can be fetched at
https://launchpad.net/~markus-tisoft/+archive/rt3090

Jens

timeofmind

Post by timeofmind »

What is that module called under lsmod?

I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 and installed the fitpc2 packages from the repository.

I still have the same problem with the wireless: no networks are detected.

"iwlist wlan0 scanning" returns nothing. (there are many availiable wireless networks in my area. If I run this command on my other machine I get a long list).

If I try to set the essid with "iwconfig wlan0 essid networkid", I get no connection to the access point. All my other computers manage to connect to this wireless router without any issues.

The module that appears to be in use presently for wlan0 is: rt2800usb (which is the same module that was being used in the fresh Ubuntu install with the same problem)

Thanks.

Edit: This is a fit-pc2i, Model: fit-PC2i-D1G-C1600-W

Edit: And of course no wireless networks appear in the drop down menu under the network icon on the task bar.

timeofmind

Post by timeofmind »

I noticed that the fitpc2 kernel includes the rt2860sta module, which has been mentioned here in other posts, while the ubuntu kernel does not, but, for some reason this kernel module does not detect the wireless card when loaded. The wlan0 device only shows when the rt2800usb module is loaded - but of course, the card fails to operate properly under this module.
Last edited by timeofmind on Wed May 12, 2010 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ubuntu 9.10”