Slow!

giannos

Slow!

Post by giannos »

Hello there,
I have just installed ubutnu 9.10 and I realised that it's really slow. At first I found out that no drivers are coming with the installation disk thus I checked the fit-pc2 oniine website for drivers. I should admit that the fit-pc2 wiki was very helpful. Anyway when I installed the drivers I saw some difference on playing around with the desktop items but it is still slow. This gets worse when I use firefox to check my e-mails, and even terrible when I try to watch youtube videos. Is this version of Ubuntu so demanding or is it just the fit-pc2?
Thank you
--------------------------
fit-pc2 1.6, wifi.
Video card is actually set to 256MB from bios menu. I tried 128MB bu no difference

gman

Re: Slow!

Post by gman »

My first thought is that .flv (flashvideo) is not supported in hardware acc.
and flv is to demanding for the processor. And i dont know haw well flv works in linux.

giannos

Post by giannos »

yeah but it is not just the video. In general the system is slow! Has anybody installed Ubuntu 9.10 on fit-pc2 and has a reliable system?

encompass

Post by encompass »

Well, yes, it is... it's what you get for 8w of power and such a small form factor. If you would like something faster I would look elsewhere. You could try some of the other environments file xubuntu. It works fair there. Also, using a smaller resolution helps as well.

tel

Post by tel »

Do you think 9.10 is significantly slower than 8.04? I'm currently using 8.04; it works just fine, but I'd upgrade if there were no performance hit.

encompass

Post by encompass »

I personally see no performance issues. If anything it boots a bit faster. But YMMV. I would strip it down to only what you need as a desktop. XFCE xubuntu or something similar.

encompass

Post by encompass »

gman wrote:My first thought is that .flv (flashvideo) is not supported in hardware acc.
and flv is to demanding for the processor. And i dont know haw well flv works in linux.
Flash content will not play well. It it certainly can't do HD flash. (You need an intense computer to do that.)

Return to “Ubuntu 9.10”