System hangs in gdm splash screen

hferinga

System hangs in gdm splash screen

Post by hferinga »

Hello,

I have the fit-PC2 with 1.6 GHz processor and a 160Gb drive and the WLAN module.
It runs Ubuntu 9.10.

While running it for a while with every now and then failing to boot, it now fails to boot entirely into the (gnome) GUI. Running it in runlevel 2 and using a Vnc session remotely works without a problem.

When starting it, it will hang somewhere in the splashscreen where the light beam goes from left to right until the system stops functioning. It does not respond to keyboard or mouse input. The driveled is steady on and the only thing I can do is hit the powerswitch.

In the beginning I did see it occassionaly during two different situations.
1) before the logon screen
2) after the logon screen, but before gnome is initialized.

In both situations the hang is in the splash screen where the light beam goes from left to right.

The current constant hang is in the first splashscreen.

There is nothing in the logging that gives me an indication that something crashed. It just stops.

I followed these instructions http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1150.
I upgraded the Bios to the latest from dec 24th 2009.
I set Processur full speed" to "GV3 Only"

But it still refuses to boot into a working GUI environment.

How can I switch off the splashscreen so I can see what is going on? I am not so familiar with the new grub stuff.
Last edited by hferinga on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Denis

Re: System hangs in splash screen

Post by Denis »

In /etc/default/grub set GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="" and run update-grub2, this should disable splashscreen.
Compulab's Linux support

hferinga

Post by hferinga »

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="" was already set.

So I guess it is de gdm splash or something?

hferinga

Post by hferinga »

I started in single user mode (network root) and started gdm:

gdm start

This resulted in the same hang with the same "splash screen".

So it must have something to do with initializing the GUI (gdm?).

I managed to get it working once today for some hours by restarting it everytime until it finally gave me a logon screen and after logging in the gnome session. Once it boots into the GUI it does not seem to have a problem anymore.

Denis

Post by Denis »

Seems graphics driver can not recognize your display resolution, may be some timing problems in DDC.

Set in /etc/X11/xorg.conf your display resolution explicitly. Check with another display.
Compulab's Linux support

hferinga

Post by hferinga »

I set an exit 0; somewhere at the beginning in the /etc/init/gdm which actually makes the stanza invalid.

I don't know the syntax of these (upstart) files, but it will start the system in a text console as I want it. Using "Text" on the kernel cmd line did not work, nor 2 (as in runlevel 2) did the job.

When logging in I do a startx after some simple checks (tty is one of tty0-tty6 and X not already running) from .bash_profile.

This seems to work most of the time. It will sometimes hang if I switch back and forth between GUI and text console (e.g: CTL-ALT-F1) from .bash_profile. When it hangs it really hangs, no network response, no gui, no keyboard interaction (e.g. numlock on/off).

I hope that this will be my temporary work-around until the problem is somehow fixed.

I will test again after a new kernel release, or a new Xorg release.

hferinga

Re: System hangs in gdm splash screen

Post by hferinga »

Unfortunately my "workaround" did not really work. Too bad. I really like the formfactor and the low powerconsumption. But if it fails to work properly I will have to replace it with something else.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I'm getting a similar problem. Things worked fine for a few days after I installed 9.10, but at some point (not sure when, since I usually access it over the net with SSH using Putty), it started having problems with the GUI interface.

When I turned on the monitor connected to the Fit-PC2, the GUI was there, but when I tried using it, things didn't work properly. System was still normal through SSH. When I rebooted it, the GUI login never happened. Got the dark screen with the light, but it never gets past that to a login prompt. The network and HD lights blink periodically, but the keyboard does nothing. The mouse will move the cursor, but clicking does nothing. If I SSH in from elsewhere, all is normal. It's only a problem with the GUI.

Not sure where to look. I can re-install the OS...got all the data off through SSH Copy...but if it's going to misbehave, that seems like a waste of time. Would prefer to figure out what's wrong, but not sure where to start. Anybody have any ideas?

snowman

Post by snowman »

I've had also problems with logging in using gdm; for me switching to xdm has resolved the problem. Maybe you want to give it a try?

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I'll try anything...at this point the install is expendable.

Not sure how to switch to xdm...is there a good link to somewhere with info? I'll check Google, but if you happen to know of one, that would be great.

Since I had it working for several days, I'm wondering if some update didn't change something critical. If so, maybe just reinstalling the GUI components would fix it? Not sure what the proper apt-get incantation for that is though. Not even sure where to look for logged errors. Nothing I was seeing in /var/log looked relevant. The GUI is the least understood part of Linux for me...

Return to “Ubuntu 9.10”