9.10 Install without wired ethernet

CrazyGene

9.10 Install without wired ethernet

Post by CrazyGene »

I'm trying to set up Karmic but I don't have a wired ethernet connection. (It's a matter of physical logistics, hdmi display not near router.) As I read the install instructions, they download software. This means I have to have a working ethernet. But since I can only connect via wireless, i'm in catch 22.

Also my router is only b/g. Am I out of luck anyway with the wireless even if I could get it to work?

radioxid

Re: 9.10 Install without wired ethernet

Post by radioxid »

1, Buy some long Ethernet cable.

2, Buy some long Ethernet cable.

3, Sum those ubuntu install instructions on a single .sh file with #!/usr/bin/sh as first line; prepare this file to be executed (go su : 'sudo su' and type your password); at least prepare all to be done just by hitting 'enter'; unplug the screen, go to your router and plug your ethernet on in both router and computer; press enter and wait about 15 minnutes.

CrazyGene

Post by CrazyGene »

:lol: Yes, the simple solution is a 25' cat 5 cable. (I left mine at a friend's office connecting stuff that was on the other side of the room. Unfortunately, I'm in the land of "you want what" ... Firefold.com & I have a rendezvous in the future.

I could put XP on it.. but bleh!

billyzelsnack

Post by billyzelsnack »

If you have a desktop machine running Windows nearby you can share your wireless connection with a short cross-over cable. That's what I did with my latest install of minimal ubuntu and it was much easier than dealing with a long cable to my router in the basement.

CrazyGene

Post by CrazyGene »

Neat solution, thanx....

Return to “Ubuntu 9.10”