Network disconnects

mbuchman

Network disconnects

Post by mbuchman »

I have a major problem when transferring files to my FIT-PC2.

The first time I had the problem was when I was trying to back up a picture folder to the FIT-PC2. The connection would keep breaking. I still have not solved this problem, and the files are not backed up yet.

The second time this problem occurred was today. I was trying to copy a folder of files. There were 14 files in the folder, and the total size was about 140MB. In the middle of the copy, the connection to the FIT-PC2 stopped working. The connection path was WiFi -> Router -> Switch -> FIT-PC2, so I figured it may be a problem somewhere along the line (100ft cable from the 10/100 router to the 10/100/1000 switch). However, the FIT-PC2 was totally locked up so I had to hold the power to reset. After booting the FIT back up, I deleted all of the previously copied files (they did not open for some reason), plugged directly into the switch, and started over. Same problem. Finally I decided to copy the files one at a time, and was able to get all of the files copied successfully.

The odd thing is I have sucecssfully copied this quantity of data before, so I do not know what the problem is.

I am using the gigabit ethernet card on my FIT-PC2. I am using Ubuntu 9.10. I use Samba to make my files accessable to the Windows network.

irads

Re: Network disconnects

Post by irads »

Some users reported that disabling Hyperthreading resolves the issue.

mbuchman

Re: Network disconnects

Post by mbuchman »

This may have fixed it... or at least helped!

I was able to do my entire backup now. When I was doing it from far away (Computer -> Router -> 100ft Cat5e -> Switch -> FitPC2) I had several failures. I had enabled the Watchdog timer, which successfully reset after a failure. But eventually this upset the FitPC2, and so I disabled the WDT.

Anyway, then I moved the computer so that the connection is Computer -> Switch -> FitPC2. One error I had was "Cannot copy [file]: The path is too deep." This would ultimately cause a failure. I was able to shorten the parent folder name up a little bit, which seemed to work as it took the whole folder in one go after doing that.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Return to “Ubuntu 9.10”