Windows XP set up aborts

irads

Re: Windows XP set up aborts

Post by irads »

try to duplicate the cd into a fresh copy and install from that

email rma@fit-pc.com and request a new cd.

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

1) In my past experience, when you copy a corrupt disk onto a new CD you copy over the corrupted files.

2) Microsoft has set it up so making a disk to disk copy usually doesn't copy over all the necessary files so that the disk fails.

3) Isn't it illegal?

4) I have asked for a new XP disk but how is that going to work with the existing set up? Unless it writes over it.?

irads

Post by irads »

1 make an iso and if successful copy from iso
2 not true
3 there is nothing illegal about trying to recover broken media for own use
4 all recovery cds are identical

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

What's an iso?

irads

Post by irads »

ISO is a file format used to save an image of a CD or DVD as a file.
It is often used to duplicate CDs.
For more info see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

Okay

I'm trying this to create an XP slipstream disk

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2325399,00.asp

we'll see if it works...if not I'll try and figure how to make an iso copy whatever that is...very complicated for me.

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

Nope. Didn't work

So, any suggestions apart from throwing this in the trash?

I should reveal here that I am a journalist and that this pc was sent to me by the company for review as part of a home theatre/entertainment set up story.

So far it isn't going well. If you can't get XP to boot and you can't get basic support I would suggest it is not money well spent.

Is there a way to reformat the SSD and start again?

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

Might I kindly suggest asking some assistance from a more technical person? You seem to be a nice guy and trying hard to make the unit work, but lack some skills for it. I am sure that the unit works fine, and that someone more technical would solve the problems you are having in a short time.

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

Duh. Isn't that why I'm here?

This is the only support I can find for this product.

Microsoft has orphaned it so the vendor is supposed to support it.

That isn't happening is it?

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

Further to the post here about not having technical skills:

I don't claim to be a computer scientist I have managed to set up an Ethernet with a router, a wifi router configured as a bridge, a soundbridge, five PCs for my kids, networked them all, control when they can get on and off the internet from my twin screens, with networked switches, printing and, oh, a windows home server and before that Network storage.

Sure, it's just plugging cables together but I manage to to keep them updates and working even after the periodic screw ups of power outages and all that other voodoo stuff like viruses (been bitten but never fatally and hard drive meltdowns (back up back up back up) .

I listen to Internet radio, stream all my CDs from my server and am trying to get prepared for online movie downloads since I live in a northern climate and going out to the video store sucks in winter and my local cable providers' selection sucks. (oh, did I mention they also own the local video store)

I work with the usual MS products plus Pinnacle, Quark Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and few other programs...no I don't code but I can and do design and build websites. Heck I even FTP.

Here's what I've learned. I like software and hardware that work together.
It's not much to ask for.

However, you're right, I don't have the technical skills of a computer scientist. But then they probably work in linux or Mac.

All I'm asking is that someone put in plain simple English what steps are necessary to invoke life into this box. I just want to use the damn thing.

It's real, it's licensed and it should work out of the box. That's what user experience is all about.

It's funny, they say the transportation manager always complains that his buses and trains would always run on schedule if it were not for the stupid passengers.

Well, I'm sure Microsoft feels the same way about its operating systems and related software.
If the user breaks the software on the first boot up then there's something seriously wrong with the hardware (and, granted Microsoft, but I have yet to break a PC on set up in dozens of attempts)

This box is being sold on Amazon. It is mainstream.

Let's talk in plain English here. If you are selling this box to to consumers then you need to talk in consumer language.

Support it or get the hell out of the market segment.

Can I be more pointed?

Sure, you can delete this post but here's the thing. Others will come behind me, and more and more. Until suddenly, no one wants to buy your product because the user experience sucks.

Case in point. Apple.

Apple's hardware is cute and they've captured headlines

Why?

Because it work and it offers an exotic user experience.

Forget about fancy hardware and software. It ain't worth spit without a good user experience.

Return to “Windows XP”