Windows XP set up aborts

IanHarvey

Windows XP set up aborts

Post by IanHarvey »

Hi

three issues

1) just setting up my fitPC2 and now stuck because XP says "set up was not completed last time, please run set up again"...and of course we just keep going back into that loop.

I went into BIOS at boot re set to defaults but no joy....any suggestions on how to get out of this loop.

2) I also have a hardware issue....when connected via HDMI to the big screen (where I'm planning to use it to grab media from the server and other devices on the network and the Net) it works fine. However, for set up I connected to a spare monitor and I'm not getting a signal...have there been issues with the adaptors?

3) Also I need to install a couple of small programs on it....what's the best way to do that? For one, I think I can download the program from Logitech's website so that won't be an issue but I may want to download something from a disk. I have a laptop and a desktop and a Windows Home Server on my wired network which this is plugged into (or will be once it's up an running)
thanks

irads

Re: Windows XP set up aborts

Post by irads »

1. Make sure to use an original XP setup (or original fit-PC2 recovery) and not a remix. This is known to install out of the box.

2. Make sure to connect to digital input of the display. If still there is no image try booting in VGA mode through F8.

3. Installing from a mapped network drive should work fine.

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

This is the original boot from the fitPC2 which came with an XP disk.

Halfway through the original set up it asked me to enter my name etc...I was using only a mouse. I tried adding a keyboard but it did not recognize it so I quit the set up..and rebooted hoping the keyboard would kick in...no such luck.

How do i roll back the the set up to a clean install? Can I connect my laptop to the fitPC2 via USB and use that optical drive to boot from?

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

IanHarvey wrote:How do i roll back the the set up to a clean install? Can I connect my laptop to the fitPC2 via USB and use that optical drive to boot from?
You would need to remove the optical drive from the laptop, connect a SATA-to-USB or IDE-to-USB cable to it, and then connect it directly to Fit-PC2. You cannot connect the optical drive to Fit-PC2 while it's still inside the laptop. However, this is pretty complex, and an easier solution would be to purchase USB DVD-ROM from eBay for 30$-40$ including shipping.

You can also use a guide someone made to create a Windows XP installation USB stick. This will not require to purchase an external DVD-ROM.

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

This doesn't help.

The USB key thing is way too complicated

Let's keep it simple.

Problem: Set up is hung.

Solution: ???????

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

An update:

I contacted Microsoft for support. They say they no longer support XP since April 2009.

So, I'm looking to Compulab to offer support?

I'm starting to see why people buy pirate-ware. If you're not going to get support buying legitimately...why bother?

There has to be a simple solution here folks. Can we get one?

irads

Post by irads »

First you should get your keyboard recognized. Does it work in BIOS before XP installation kicks in?

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

I have no idea if my keyboard works since we get the Windows splash screen with the pulsing bar that looks like a normal boot up and then it goes dark and the error message comes up:

"Set up did not complete last time. Please run set up again."

So you boot up again and get the same message. We never get to a screen where a keyboard would be used.

Some more background: This happened because I realized I'd have to boot up again to use the keyboard. I was at the stage where it asks you to accept the terms and conditions. I clicked "no" hoping to abort cleanly and go back to the start of set up....that didn't happen obviously so now I'm in limbo.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

BIOS is the thing that appears before Windows XP.

When you power on the computer, press F2 button immediately a lot of times. If you get to the BIOS screen where you see the date, time and other settings, then the keyboard is working in BIOS.

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

BIOS is the thing that appears before Windows XP.

When you power on the computer, press F2 button immediately a lot of times. If you get to the BIOS screen where you see the date, time and other settings, then the keyboard is working in BIOS.

Okay. Yep works. Now what?

Return to “Windows XP”