Windows XP set up aborts

yogev_ezra

Re: Windows XP set up aborts

Post by yogev_ezra »

This means the keyboard is OK. Basically you now have 2 options: reinstall Windows XP yourself from the provided DVD, or RMA the unit to replace it for another one.

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

Okay so if I find a USB opitcal drive and connect it...I have to change the BIOS to boot from drive right?

I may have an old USB drive but I think somehow it's a firewire drive....in any event I also have a USB hard drive...I guess it's not possible to dump the XP disk into a hard drive and boot from there?

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

IanHarvey wrote:Okay so if I find a USB optical drive and connect it...I have to change the BIOS to boot from drive right?
Yes, that's right.
IanHarvey wrote:in any event I also have a USB hard drive...I guess it's not possible to dump the XP disk into a hard drive and boot from there?
It's possible but I think even more complex than make USB stick installation of Windows XP. So if you are going in this direction, I suggest USB stick instead.

irads

Post by irads »

You may run Windows installation (with keyboard attached, it is likely to keep functioning during installation) and choose to partition and format the hard disk during installation.

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

You may run Windows installation (with keyboard attached, it is likely to keep functioning during installation) and choose to partition and format the hard disk during installation.

not sure what you mean by this but I've found my optical drive and it does have a USB 2.0 port as well so all is good so far...I'll get to it later tonight.

Thanks for the help.

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

nope. no go.

I changed the boot in bios to look for the USB optical drive. It sees it. the keyboard is working and I managed to get it to boot from the disk.

However, it hung up during the blue screen stage of loading essentials.

The message is

The file AIC78xx.sys is corrupted. Please press any key to continue.

We do and we end up back in the same death loop.

"Set up failed. Please run set up again."

And then

The system is not fully installed. Please run set up again

Suggestions???????????

This is a lousy way to to support a product by the way. Microsoft has orphaned it and the time different means I wait hours to get a response.

Not a great way to sell product by word of mouth.

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

And now we've tried seven ways to sunday to get this thing to boot and install....series of error messages now coming up....almost every file some three minutes into the install is "corrupted" or can't be installed....so

NOW WHAT?????

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

IanHarvey wrote:And now we've tried seven ways to sunday to get this thing to boot and install....series of error messages now coming up....almost every file some three minutes into the install is "corrupted" or can't be installed....so

NOW WHAT?????
How exactly did you connect the USB DVD-ROM? You need to connect 2 USB cables - power + data, otherwise the installation will give you the same errors you wrote about, because the DVD-ROM does not get enough electric power. So make sure you connect both power and data cable.

Regarding support options, you are very welcome to purchase Fit-PC2 via distributor and get excellent local support from him. Unfortunately if you purchase the unit directly from this site, you only get support via forum.

irads

Post by irads »

Missing or corrupt files are a problem with reading the CD. Change CD or CDROM.

IanHarvey

Post by IanHarvey »

1) The DVD has its own power supply so that's not an issue. It's an older Cedyne Double Layer DVD burner and it appears to be working just fine.

2) I live in Canada. How are we supposed to buy from Israel? I acquired this box from the manufacturer. You'd think there'd be better support even though this is a bizarre problem.

3) Yes, I think the CD is probably corrupt which only adds to the initial problem. I have cleaned the CD with no effect. I have a few XP disks lying around but I am hesitant to put another one in in case I get stalled again at the serial number authorization part. I obviously have a factory serial number for the fitPC2 but it will be different than the one I'm installing with.

Anyone got suggestions? Something from safe mode?

Return to “Windows XP”