Problem when turning on/off W-Lan (AP-mode)

usv

Problem when turning on/off W-Lan (AP-mode)

Post by usv »

Hi

I'm running WinXP on Fit-PC2 with the RAlink driver version 1.4.2.0.
Normally I keep the W-Lan off, and then turn it on (in AP mode) when I need it. When I do that, I notice two things:

- The computer name (NetBIOS name) is lost on the cabled network, meaning I can no longer access the Fit-PC by it's NetBIOS name via the cabled network. The NetBIOS name can be used on the wireless network though. When I switch off the W-LAN, the NetBIOS name can be used via the cabled network again. Can't I use the name on both networks simultaneously?

- Some services doesn't start working on the W-LAN by themselves. For instance, I have to restart my FTP server, Subversion server and my Tomcat server to be able to use them from the W-LAN. Other services like for example VNC run without problems. Does anyone know a solution to this?

Regards
Ulrik

usv

Re: Problem when turning on/off W-Lan (AP-mode)

Post by usv »

Maybe I should make an example:

My Fit-PC2 is running, W-Lan turned off. Access to my Subversion server is fine.

I then turn on W-Lan and switch to AP mode. Internet connection sharing is enabled (which kicks me off my VNC connection to the Fit-PC2 btw.)

Now there's no access to the Subversion server via the cabled network. I restart the Subversion service in Windows, and then I can connect again.

Then I switch back to Sstation mode and turn off the W-Lan. Internet connection sharing is then disabled. My VNC session is unaffected from this, and the Subversion server can be accessed without problems - without any restart.

Could it be the Internet connection sharing which causes problems maybe? If so - can anything be done about it?

Thanks
Ulrik

usv

Re: Problem when turning on/off W-Lan (AP-mode)

Post by usv »

After some research, I think I've come closer to what the problem really is.

My cabled connection has the NetBios name "fit", when WLAN is turned off. When I turn on the WLAN, the name "moves" to the wireless connection, which then has the NetBios name "fit", and my cabled connection is nameless.

Can I do anything about this? Preferably I would like that both networks has the NetBios name "fit", but at least it would be nice, if the name didn't move from one connection to another when enabling/disabling WLAN.

Has anyone got a clue, What I can do?

Regards...
Ulrik

Return to “Windows XP”