Power management:Wake from hibernation w/ task scheduler(XP)

TimeScience

Power management:Wake from hibernation w/ task scheduler(XP)

Post by TimeScience »

Hi,

Is there any way to have the fitpc2 wake to run a scheduled task? I am trying to build a solar powered system with low power requirements. The fitpc is a cor component of this since it is so small and has very low power requirements. However, when I hibernate the fitpc, it won't wake to run a scheduled task. I have a couple of questions...

(1) Is there no way to get it to wake on a schedule?

(2) Any plans to add this feature?

(3) How exactly does the AutoOn feature work, that is undere what circumstances does it start the computer?? If I do a normal system shutdown and then turn off the external power using a timer, will the PC turn on when I turn the external power on? If I hibernate the computer and then power cycle it, will it restart.

(4) How does the watchdog timer in the bios work? On my system (not an auto-on system), it seems to prevent the system from hibernating. In the AutoOn fitpc, if I enable the watchdog with a longish delay and then hibernate and turn of external power, will the watchdog wake the system once the power is back on?

Thanks!

Tim

TimeScience

Re: Power management:Wake from hibernation w/ task scheduler(XP)

Post by TimeScience »

It has been my experience in extensive testing that the fit pc (tried with both Aug'09 and Dec'09 bios versions) will not wake from hibernation to run a task. Since no one from fitpc has responded to my previous post, I will assume that this is the case. Too bad; this makes it not a very useful system for very low power, remote applications since you can't ever turn it off unless there is someone there to turn it on again.

Anyone else found a way to make it wake up?

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

Hi There,
I'll try to give some answers to your original post:

There are plans to add WoL to Fit PC2i, and this may at some point be added to standard Fit PC2 configurations though there's no real schedule for that at the moment that i know of. Using WoL you could have a device on the LAN wake the PC according to a schedule.

The Auto-on simply turns on the PC as soon as power is applied to the input jack. While the power is still applied to the input (ie the cable is connected, the plug socket is on and there's no power cut) the Fit PC2 will shut down/restart/hibernate excatly the same way as a standard PC. It is only when the power to the input gets interrupted (e.g. there's a power cut to the plug socket) that the Auto-On kicks in and automatically turns the PC on when the power comes back.

I'm afraid i dont know enough about the watchdog timer to be of any assistance, but i'm sure someone else on this forum can help...

Kind rgds
Benjamin
Fit PC UK

ciceron2

Post by ciceron2 »

Hi,

There is a software called "WakeUp" ready to download on FITPC site. Perhaps you should try it : http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/xp-drivers/
The original software site of "WakeUp" by Noel Danjou is http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=dstools#wakeup.
Is it what you were searching for ?

Leonid

Post by Leonid »

Hi.

Due to hardware limitations, for now, fit-PC2 doesn't support wake-on-timer from Hibernation Mode.
However, wake-on-timer from StandBy Mode works properly.

Regards.
Leonid Firdman

TimeScience

Post by TimeScience »

Thanks for clarifying all that. That's very helpful.

I recently found a handy device (http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-USB) that can externally manage DC power input to the PC and can be programmed from the computer via a USB interface. Haven't tested one yet but his might be a good way for folks to put their FitPc's on a schedule if they have one that has AutoOn.

Thanks

Tim

Leonid

Post by Leonid »

Hi, Tim.

I strongly recommend you to consult with our hardware experts before you purchase this device.
Leonid Firdman

TimeScience

Post by TimeScience »

How come? my understanding is that the device acts as an external power switch with a timer so that after the PC is shut down, the DCDC can cut the external power supply off completely and then turn it on in the morning, or whenever. Then the fit pc will see that it had no power and the power was restored and it will turn on with AutoOn. Is this not what will happen? Who should I consult with in particular? Fitpc seems to have no tech support other than the forum, is there somewhere else on the forum I should ask about using this device?

Thanks

irads

Post by irads »

fit-PC2 power supply is single 12V and straight-forward. I don't think there is any catch in using an external power management unit.

Return to “Windows XP”