losing touchscreen on reboot

halestorm

losing touchscreen on reboot

Post by halestorm »

I have a new Lilliput 629GL/DVI touch screen that I'm connecting to a FitPC2 running Windows XP. I installed the touch drivers and it works fine. But, after a reboot, the touch screen is not working. The touchscreen config tool indicates that there is no touch controller. If I uninstall/re-install, then it is working again. But again, after a reboot, it is gone.

The touch controller does not show up in the touch kit program after a reboot unless I go through the whole uninstall/reinstall process each time. If I unplug/plug the USB cable then it also does not show up. If I hover on the icon in tray then it also says "0 touch devices" (or something like that). ... BUT ... If I go to

My Computer->Properties->Hardware->Device Manager

then under "Mice and other pointing devices" I see an HID device there, and it appears/disappears as I plug/unplug the USB cable to the touch screen. So, that seems to say that at some level it sees something.

Wait, it gets better.

In an attempt to eliminate my computer (either hardware or OS) as the problem, I borrowed a friend's FitPC2, also running WinXP. Installed the drivers, touchscreen works, fine. Then reboot, still fine. Several reboots (warm and cold), etc. and it is still working. OK, so it must be my computer. I reconnect my computer and now my computer works every time, even after reboots (about 10 so far).

Now I can't get it to fail, but I didn't DO anything to fix it. I'm worried that it's going to fail after I get everything bolted into the car and less accessible.

Any ideas what could cause this, what could have happened?

Thanks,
Dave
http://evalbum.com/2500
almost no reason to burn gasoline anymore

irads

Re: losing touchscreen on reboot

Post by irads »

HID devices normally work on fit-PC2. The touchscreen itself is most likely stateless, and has not been reconfigured by connecting to your friend's fit-PC2.
There may be marginality in the display unit itself, in that case the initialization might fail again sometimes.
Or something may have changed - BIOS settings, Windows update, selection of USB port. In that case the working state is likely to persist until you reinstall the fit-PC2.

Your statistics favor the second options.

halestorm

Post by halestorm »

Thanks for the reply.
I don't know what "stateless" means in this application.
As for the "marginality" of the display, it was purchased brand new, and the company said all units are tested before shipping.

Nothing changed between the times it would work and not work. For that matter, nothing changed on my computer at all.

Should it matter which USB port it is plugged in to? Everyone else says it shouldn't.

What do you mean by, "...until you reinstall the fit-PC2." ?
Dave
http://evalbum.com/2500
almost no reason to burn gasoline anymore

irads

Post by irads »

Stateless means the display did not "learn" anything from being connected to the other PC.

Marginality is sensitivity to small changes - for example changes in timing of power-up - this is often the case with devices that sometimes work and sometimes don't. In case of marginality you may find that another USB port gives a little more power than the other so reliability is better.

Until you reinstall means that if there was a configuration problem with a driver, then when you reinstall the same configuration problem may re-occur.

Post by 9812713 »

Could be a PNP (Plug and Play/Prey) fault, or a required reboot after driver installation, or even a driver issue (conflict with system files) either case, it should not matter what USB ports to use / stay away from.

halestorm, I would have to assume that you and your friends Windows XP installation are done after factory, or were they shipped with XP ? Are you running same Service Pack levels (SP3) and the Window Services, did either of you 'tweak' any of the system services?

As you can understand there are 1000 possibilities why you encountered the problem.

Glad to hear it's working, that monitor, Lilliput 629GL-70NP, looks like a cool car computer monitor..

:)

RedPath88

Post by RedPath88 »

Hopefully everything is still working for you.

I have the Lilliput 669GL and and similar problems. When using the Multi-Port cables USB adapter from the monitor I found that I had to do one of two things after a reboot... either unplug and replug the USB lead to the Fit-PC2 or turn the monitors power off and then back on. I had originally setup a script that would remove the TS entry of Device Manager then rescan for new devices to reinstall. All of this ran with the system and not on a user account.(or in other words, at reboot and before a user logged in.) But I found that to be a bit of a problem as it would add considerable time to the boot up process. I then tried the HDMI>HDMI cables USB lead for the PC and that has solved the entire problem.

When testing on my laptop (before my FIT-PC2 arrived) the monitor worked normally in any configuration.

I am fairly sure your monitor does not have an HDMI IN port, since iirc the 669 is Lilliputs first screen to offer HDMI IN. But if it does, then using it's USB lead might be an option if the problem returns.

Scott

Return to “Windows XP”