Ubuntu 12.10 the release

vtailor

Ubuntu 12.10 the release

Post by vtailor »

Wow, it comes with built-in EMGD that lets you adjust the resolution to 16:9 in all kinds of preferred ways, including choosing between laptop and desktop mode. It looks just like the Windows EMGD driver in setup. It also automatically knows the difference between spdif and analog plug in spdif hole. Talk about everything you could possibly want in a system in roughly 3.6 gb.

Except, wow is it slow in operation. It couldn't possibly be simply the compiz slowing things down. If you want the system to run really fast and without crashing on a fit-pc2i with the z530, you absolutely must turn off all the compiz and glass and whatever, and it really helps to use the ondemand power scheme that keeps the device from overheating.

I am trying to figure out what is in the minds of the Ubuntu developers. Even Cedarview systems need to be treated so as not to overheat and not to be overloaded with useless overhead software. So why do such clever things for the humble gma500 and leave all that useless overhead in place?

I am beginning to think that noone really wants this system to continue. And, as for Windows XP, the follow up for really fast operation, it still streams flash beautifully, but the sound doesn't work.

ook

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 the release

Post by ook »

12.10. the good news is that my big high-res monitor works, unlike 12.04. the bad news is unity2d is not available after 12.04, and unity3d's performance on fit-pc2 is extremely poor (unusable)

unity. i forced it to use llvmpipe for software rendering, which some ubuntu community members reported helped, as follows: create file /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99force-llvm with single line "export UNITY_LOW_GFX_MODE=1", then restart. it did NOT help. cpu runs 100% flat out all the time, with extremely poor GUI response

the standard ubuntu desktop from 12.10 on is not suitable for fit-pc2. i am about to try gnome or xfce

note: aside from the desktop, 12.10 has been stable - no clock drifting, the wireless works (after all updates have been applied), all good

Return to “Other Linux distributions”