Overclock and Reduce Heat

The requests in this sub-forum has been addressed with announced or soon-to-be-announced products
sabrehagen

Re: Overclock and Reduce Heat

Post by sabrehagen »

What is the maximum clock speed you have achieved? Also, did the laptop tweaks you spoke of speed up your fit-pc? If so, what were they?

EDIT: I have just run up my Fit-PC 2 using the setFSB settings you described and have got it running seemingly stable at 1.85Ghz. It was unstable and would blue screen at 1.9Ghz+. Now we just have to hope for better HD hardware acceleration support and that GMA booster to be released for the GMA 500 chipset!

tccc143

Post by tccc143 »

I have had it as hight as 2ghz.............it ran for about an hour and started to show signs of stutter, so I bakced it down to 1.8 and it seems to do fine. It took my windows grade from 2.2 to a 2.5.

I used the tweaks listed exactly on the website.............it seemded to help a little, plus I am using a USB thumb (cannot go over 4gb) drive as READYBOOST and it did seem to help also. I can watch video better now without the skipping. If only there was a way to increase the RAM. Just ordered my Bluetooth for the FIT. With it I can eliminate the mouse and keyboard connections and hook up some bluetooth headphones.

Did your LAN disconnect when you raised your FSB?

sabrehagen

Post by sabrehagen »

I'm not sure, I don't have an ethernet port near my TV so i'm only connected wirelessly. Have you heard of Ethernet over Power? (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP ... _Id=495008) I'm going to look at trying to use this, but it does use ethernet, so I hope the ethernet works for me at 1.85Ghz!

I really think the next version of the fit-pc should have 2gb minimum, maybe with a 4gb option. It's just essential in today's computing world.

Have you heard whether or not the Cyberlink HD codecs work with XP media centre? This could be an option if 7MC wont run at full HD resolution but XP media centre will...

tccc143

Post by tccc143 »

I have successfully clocked the FIT PC2 at 2ghz and it has held for 3 days now. I placed a USB fan on the unit to keep it cool, and it seems to be working great. Have not seen any issues or systme instability yet. I did find a guy on the web that claims to have seen up to 4ghz on this type setup.................doubt that, but I will be putting this thing thru a stress test to see what it can really do.

sabrehagen

Post by sabrehagen »

Has it been idling at 2ghz for 3 days? At 2ghz mine bluescreens after about 30 seconds under the load of a TV show recorded in 7MC. Would you be able to include SD and HD video playback in your tests please? Are you using your box as an HTPC?

tccc143

Post by tccc143 »

It has been for 3 days now. I have been doing different tests, but so far no issues. I think keeping the unit really cold has helped alot. I did download a HD 1080p movie and it seemed to handle it quite well. Online video is solid with no jumping, and the overall speed is great. Still can't get the Win7 rating above 2.6, but most of that is because of the GMA500 video in 3d mode. I will run many more tests to see what it can and can't handle.

sabrehagen

Post by sabrehagen »

Great - maybe the excess heat is the issue for me that is causing the crash, i'll try attaching a fan and doing the same thing as you.

tccc143

Post by tccc143 »

After several stress tests it seems to be doing ok. I have tried to get it above 2ghz but it does not seem to be able to handle it. I am now keeping it about 1.8 to 1.85 for good operation and to make sure I do not blow it up. Online video seems to be ok at 1.8ghz. Really not much more you can do until we can overclock the GPU. Not sure if clocking the GPU and CPU at the same time will work since they both rely on the system memory, but I am hoping GMABOOSTER will have a GMA500 version soon.

My next adventure is to put this unit in my car and run it thru my DVD monitors.......will make my road trips more interesting.....then my boat later. They should be sending me free units to test........

sabrehagen

Post by sabrehagen »

haha free units would be awesome. I've tried running mine at around 1.7ghz and reading a recorded tv file from the HDD in 7 media centre always makes the device crash. i don't know whether this is due to the compulab driver not being able to handle it, but this still seemed to happen at standard clock speeds. as soon as the device was put under 'too much' load, the screen would just turn off and the device would become non-responsive to the front power button, you just have to pull the power plug out. the reason i was overclocking was to try to make the device more powerful so that it never reached this state of 'too much' load.

you are running windows 7 right, not vista or xp? also, what resolution are you running it at and doing these video tests at?

tccc143

Post by tccc143 »

I am using windows 7. I am not sure why yours would crash at 1.7 when mine runs fine at 1.825ghz. Some of the things I have done..... turned off unwanted services and programs I don't need which means turning off some of the bells and whistles windows 7 has, installed Klite Codecs, disabled the LAN and use wireless only because this unit only operates on 8 to 10 watts max, so I assume when you overclok it you are increasing the power to the processor which means it will need additional power, so I figured shutting down the LAN would compensate. I use my USB thumb drive with READYBOOST in win7. I found the max resolution to use under overclock is 1440x900. Plus I installed a fan to keep it cool. Thats about it, and I have it set firmly at 1.825ghz and it seems to play videos and flash just fine.

Good luck...........

Return to “Addressed requests”