Some questions about Fit-PC2i

Issues specific to fit-PC2i
FalconFour

Some questions about Fit-PC2i

Post by FalconFour »

I'm looking to use Fit-PC2i as the basis for a huge RC airplane FPV (first-person view) video/telemetry/control system, something that, well, if done properly, could end up selling some hundred FitPCs to modelers dying to get their hands on something better than grainy analog video.

Just a few things need to be figured out before I can really say Fit-PC2i is the perfect choice. First, the specs are pretty much perfect, but with a few things I could most certainly do without. Primarily, I've got no use for dual Ethernet, let alone dual gigabit LAN. Can a Fit-PC2i be ordered without dual Ethernet? Sure, I could pull out the extra card to reduce power consumption (it'll be running on a battery pack), but it'd be nice to not have it to begin with.

Second, the "pilot run" is missing three components - two of which I actually need to make this work. It's going to be interfacing with an Arduino board that handles electronics and sensor input/output, and that would be most economically implemented in serial, I think. The "pilot" model is supposedly missing its serial capability (...how?). Second, I'm possibly going to be basing the transmission on Wifi, but... Wifi is missing? Can taking out the second Ethernet adapter make room to fix this?

With that said, I'm thinking the perfect system would be the diskless version (it can boot/run from the 4gb Flash, right?), just with a few changes. I'm very roughly looking at about 6 months to get this thing "off the ground", so to speak, so about July. Presumably, the price would be reduced by about that time?

At any rate, here's to hoping I don't just give up and forget about this project... ;)

irads

Re: Some questions about Fit-PC2i

Post by irads »

By July all the elements that are missing now will be in place.
For an airborne system you may want to use the SBC without the case.

When you are buying off-the-shelf you are likely to pay for some elements that you are not going to use - like Ethernet. Unless you have a very large project it is still cheaper than paying for an optimal custom solution.

FalconFour

Post by FalconFour »

Yeah, weight is a big factor here, it seems. Is the bare board actually available for purchase - or, rather, will it be?

irads

Post by irads »

The SBC-FITPC2 is available from CompuLab. See www.compulab.co.il

Return to “fit-PC2i hardware”