Serial cable

Issues specific to fit-PC2i
robc

Serial cable

Post by robc »

I didn't receive a serial cable with my unit. Is this a standard cable I can buy somewhere else?

Thanks,
Rob

PieterPan

Re: Serial cable

Post by PieterPan »

You don't need one, as you simply insert your 2.5" harddrive into the fit-pc2 and it connects to fixed the internal SATA data and power connector.
Edit: Oops, now I realize you meant serial, not Serial ATA. Sorry.
Last edited by PieterPan on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irads

Post by irads »

The pilot-batch of fit-PC2i does not have functional serial.

robc

Post by robc »

The reason why we waited for fit-PC2i was because it had a serial port. When I spoke to your US rep, he never mentioned the serial port was not functional. In fact when I asked about the missing cable he said it was a standand mini-RS232 that you can get anywhere. Apparently, there is a disconnect here.

Rob

ssherman44

Post by ssherman44 »

I just received my Fit-PCi that looks like it has a serial port and was advertises as being v1.2. It did not come with a serial cable. I also need a 12v battery cable to power it with and I can't order from Linuxshoppen because I am in the USA.

irads

Post by irads »

CompuLab is making every effort to detail the revision being sold and to keep the customers and distributors informed. When buying through a distributor please double check the revision you are about to get.

If you believe to have received misleading information by the distributor - please contact him first, and in case his answer is not satisfactory please contact CompuLab at sales@fit-pc.com

In the unlikely event of a mismatch between stated and actual package content please contact CompuLab at sales@fit-pc.com

Check fit-PC2i revision at http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title ... _Revisions

russellp

Post by russellp »

I've got two here, both with serials starting with 1004 (which makes them rev 1.1).

It's kinda strange that mine came with a serial cable, because I can't see a UART/COM Port in either Windows (device manager) or Ubuntu (using lspci and lsusb).

It's even stranger than the DB9 end of the cable is the wrong gender. RS232 should be male at the PC end.

This is all after updating to the latest BIOS (which adds serial support).
devmgr.png
devmgr.png (41.67 KiB) Viewed 10012 times
I guess they're absent at a hardware level.

irads

Post by irads »

It's even stranger than the DB9 end of the cable is the wrong gender. RS232 should be male at the PC end.
Agreed. fit-PC2i ships now with a short mini-serial to DB9 male cable.

Return to “fit-PC2i hardware”