Network Adapter missing in Device List (Solved)

Issues specific to fit-PC2i
dhard

Network Adapter missing in Device List (Solved)

Post by dhard »

we are having some issue with the network adapter(s). They sometimes disappear from the device list. After a couple of reboots sometimes they come back, but not always. I am trying narrow down what is happening but it could be related to us replacing the hard drive with solid state ones. Has this problem been encountered before? We are using the drivers supplied on the disk.

irads

Re: Network Adapter missing in Device List

Post by irads »

This does not have to do with the change in hard disk.
Try disabling C-States in BIOS (GV3 only).

dhard

Post by dhard »

Unfortunately this did not work. In fact it was already set to GV3 only. The problem quite often happens when i am ghosting an image or loading up drivers. Sometimes i loose one port, other times it can be both. I have tried rebooting a couple of times and nothing changes. But then i can come back hours later and its working. Any other suggestions?

irads

Post by irads »

Did you get the system pre-installed with Windows? If not, please describe the installation procedure.

dhard

Post by dhard »

We ghost FitPC (out of box) to image. Replace mechanical hard drive with solid state. Ghost image onto new solid state drive. Sometimes Network adapter(s) missing after process. I have even noticed (once) on existing hard drive. ie After ghost to image, restart FitPc just to check and one adapter is missing.

irads

Post by irads »

If you still have the original HDD I suggest you try to reproduce the problem.

If the problem persists, you may try the attached utility to update Ethernet controllers EEPROM. The process for update is similar to BIOS update - http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=BIOS_Update
Generally the Ethernet firmware is up-to-date, this is just to rule-out the option it is outdated.

If Ethernet still does not work, please email rma@fit-pc.com
Attachments
LAN_UPD.zip
(68.17 KiB) Downloaded 503 times

dhard

Post by dhard »

Unfortunately this did not work. This is a problem that is affecting all four of our recently acquired units, not just on one. I have been able to replicate problem on original hard drive with original drivers. Could the issue be related to heat as it shows up when we are ghosting and unit gets relatively hot. When cool again it usually comes back.

In addition I have a unit that just today lost it's video. It was freezing up a little yesterday, and when i restarted today i cannot even view the screen during post.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

irads

Post by irads »

We are working to reproduce the Ethernet problem. I believe we will get to the bottom of that in a few days.

Your description of loss of video and temperature related changes in behavior, indicates a possibility of soldering issues. I suggest you RMA the affected units for replacement.

Note that all units are tested thoroughly before being shipped. However, soldering process requires a lot of tuning, and in some cases soldering issues exhibit themselves after several weeks - like with your video. With batches following the pilot batch tuning of the soldering process is far more mature and normally this kind of issues is significantly reduced.

dhard

Post by dhard »

Success! It was a combination of two things. First the new driver, but also, after Ghosting an image the unit must have the power unplugged as well. Part of the problem was we were turning the unit off but not unplugging the power. I am not sure exactly why this has an affect but it is definately the case. Maybe you could shed some light on it? Thank you for your efforts in resolving the issue.

nimmylebby

Re: Network Adapter missing in Device List (Solved)

Post by nimmylebby »

I was having similar issues with ethernet. After installing Fedora and rebooting, the ethernet interface was not coming back on. After reading this post, I unplugged the box and plugged it back in and the ethernet interface has been working fine since then.

Very weird. I'm worried this issue will surface later on. Any information on this?

Return to “fit-PC2i hardware”