Functional FIT-PC2 but black monitor

Benito

Functional FIT-PC2 but black monitor

Post by Benito »

Hello, I've seen numerous topics regarding video issues with the FIT-PC2's and I have an oddball I guess. I have 3 units running Windows 7. I have a Startech DVI-D to VGA converter (part. no. DVI2VGACON). To this unit, you connect the FIT's DVI-D output and on the other end, you connect a VGA monitor. When I boot the FIT PC, I don't see anything then suddently, I see in the bottom "Starting Windows", which is normal up to this point.

However, this is where it starts getting weird. When the PC is at the point where it should show me the desktop, the VGA monitor shuts-off.

I have two different VGA monitors and one DELL 2007FPb monitor which has a true DVI-D connection. If I hookup both VGA monitors to my DVI-D to VGA converter, I don't have an image on either VGA monitors other than what I mentioned above during startup. If I disconnect the VGA and hook the FIT-PC directly to the DELL monitor, then I get the image, even at boot time.

But then, if I disconnect the DELL monitor and instead connect either of my VGA monitors back to the converter, NOW I have the image on the VGA monitor.... Almost as if my DELL monitor wakes-up the DVI-D port on the PC or wakes-up Windows 7.

I tried going through Windows 7's options but I cannot find anything that would indicate to shut down the monitor. So there's something weird with the FIT's on-board video card not sensing some sort of a signal OR there's something in Windows 7 causing this problem.

Basically, the FIT's DVI-D port shuts-off until I hook-up my DELL monitor.

I also noticed during boot time when using my DELL monitor that Windows most likely do a quick video test by shutting-off the monitor because I see the LED on the monitor going from green to orange, then it says "standby" on my screen as if it was shutting-down, then it goes black then it comes back on automatically, the LED goes green and I can see my desktop.... but only with my DELL monitor.

The reason I need the VGA monitor is because it is a small monitor in a briefcase and I bring it with me with a mouse and keyboard for troubleshooting PC's in the field such as the FIT.

The other monitors (the VGA) are an NEC whatever and one from LCD/Philips bought at Earth LCD (XL3-5003).

The other thing is that I **think** I had a Windows XP version of the FIT PC and I did NOT have the issue with the converter... only with Widnows 7.

Any idea? I'm really confused and I need to get this working. Basically, when I have a PC with a VGA, I use my VGA cable. If I have a PC with a DVI-D cable, then I use my converter which converts to VGA. The monitors I need are very small like 10" wide max.

I also made the resolution on the FIT to 800 x 600 and 640 x 480 with any difference with regards to the power shutting-off.

The converter has an LED on it. When I don't have an image, the LED goes red. But when power is applied, the LED goes green. When I should be at the point where I have an image but I don't, the led is green, which is why I am confused.

irads

Re: Functional FIT-PC2 but black monitor

Post by irads »

We know it is not a HW problem because XP worked.
I suspect the culprit is the DVI2VGACON which has DDC emulation. This might mess with the Windows 7 driver and may explain the transients you are seeing with display reconnections.

If that is the case I see 2 alternative solutions
- get a USB display
- get fit-VGA which has DDC pass-through and is tested to work with win7 on fit-PC2.

Benito

Post by Benito »

Thanks for your answer. Actually, after all this time, I figured it out. It is the Intel Graphics driver causing the issue. I uninstalled the Intel driver and instead, replaced it with the "Standard VGA driver" and tadam, problem solved. I can now boot, reboot and disconnect on-the-fly and reconnect on-the-fly both of my VGA monitors, using the DVI-D to VGA converter without ever using the DELL monitor and the image always ALWAYS appears. I can kill the power to the PC and it always comes back.

Benito

Post by Benito »

Further to my last post, it is in fact the Intel graphics driver causing the issue and not my DVI2VGACON converter that causes the issue on a FIT with Windows 7. I uninstalled the Intel driver and my monitor works 100% of the time. During Win7 boot, at some point Win 7 does a test and shuts-off momentarily the monitor but my monitor never turns back on. Uninstalling the Intel driver and using the Windows's standard VGA driver, then my monitor stays always on (using the DVI2VGACON converter). Then I re-installed the Intel driver and problem occurs again.

Only issue is that this FIT PC is used for a very specific purpose. Because I uninstalled the driver, then the application I am trying to use partially works in a sense that the part that doesn't work is caused by the Intel driver to not be there.... and that non-working part is the part I need!

Benito

Post by Benito »

After doing more investigation, I still cannot connect my VGA monitor through my DVI2VGACON converter from Startech.

I have no idea what the problem is but as mentioned in my previous post, unintalling or disabling the Intel driver lets me boot just fine. Re-activating the Intel driver shuts-off my monitor during the boot process. It shuts-off after Windows 7 says in the bottom "Starting Windows"... then it shuts-off...

Benito

Post by Benito »

Seems as if it is an Intel driver issue as I had suspected. Posted my (cross my fingers) solution here:

http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 8411#p8411

Return to “Windows 7 display driver”