video problems

emerika

video problems

Post by emerika »

I had Ubuntu running fine, but decided to update to Mint as it seems the future with fit-pc2...

So, I've done this all before with Ubuntu and am familiar with edit the needed files and running apt-get... and it all was working hardware-wise.

I installed and followed all the instructions. After a final reboot, everything looked fine. Until that is that I try to do anything; most all windows display garbage. You can play around with the garbage for a little while then the system hangs.

Although I made sure that visual effects were set to none earlier, I tried to check, but alas, you can't check because all you see is garbage.

I did find that some windows when shrank would suddenly clear up. However, they invariable led to windows that would not clear up preventing me from taking any steps to fix the problem.

One thing to note is that the monitor found under Monitors is DVI 1920x1080 and there's no other options. (I was hoping that a lower resolution would help.)

- an update -

I've done a complete reinstall. I have exactly the same problem. Is it possible that something in the Mint update is clobbering something? I mean, this is your hardware. There's nothing funny, except that I'm using a Samsung Monitor/TV that detects in a way that does not allow for any resolution except DVI.

As it is, the system is now unusable.

Other than reinstall, there's almost nothing I can do except use the terminal and that only if I don't resize in any way.

-- a further update --

I found this post:
http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 6&start=10

and I tried it. Success. My system is no longer unusable; it is now simply awful. The display is painfully slow and if you play a movie it skips video horribly.

I guess I'll reinstall Ubuntu tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Return to “Linux Mint”