SD card booting

derek

SD card booting

Post by derek »

Unfortunately, since the time I asked my previous question on this, you've changed from Ubuntu to Mint.

So, can Mint Linux ("out of the box") boot from SD card?

Does it depend only on the kernel or does it also depend on other software components?

derek

Booting from SD card

Post by derek »

Further clarification of question:

If the answers are "no, Mint Linux cannot boot from SD card out of the box" and "yes, it depends only on the kernel" ... since the kernel (after initial install and boot) is provided by Compulab, can Compulab provide a kernel that will actually boot from SD card ???

This makes sense to me! (since Compulab is providing a special kernel anyway)

What I am thinking is that in order to get a fit-PC up and running, booting from SD card, the steps would be ...

(assuming Mint Linux already burned onto a bootable CD and assuming an external USB CD reader is temporarily available and assuming a spare USB flash drive of sufficient capacity is temporarily available)

* plug in USB flash drive
* plug in USB CD reader
* boot from CD
* install Linux on flash drive
* boot from flash drive
* download fit-PC kernel from Compulab
* install kernel on flash drive
* reboot (from flash drive)
* insert SD card
* image the flash drive to the SD card
* boot from SD card

Does this make sense? Does this work (assuming the kernel is available from Compulab)?

An external USB hard drive could be substituted for the USB flash drive.

derek

Re: SD card booting

Post by derek »

Or let me ask the question a different way.

I have bought a diskless fit-PC2i. I have a blank SDHC card. I want to install Mint Linux on the SDHC card and boot from it.

Will this work out of the box? If not, what are the steps that I will need to carry out to make it work? (I am not very experienced with Linux so detail and explanation would be appreciated.)

In order to complete this process I have a number of other storage devices available to me temporarily, including but not limited to those implied by the previous message.

I understand that booting from SDHC card will be much slower than booting from a hard disk. However the fit-PC will be on 24x7, so booting will be infrequent.

derek

Re: SD card booting

Post by derek »

Any takers?

Is it actually possible to boot Mint Linux from SD card?

Return to “Linux Mint”