FIT-BOOK (netbook using Fit-PC2 components)

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
yogev_ezra

FIT-BOOK (netbook using Fit-PC2 components)

Post by yogev_ezra »

Proposal for FIT-BOOK (netbook using Fit-PC2 components):
1. CPU - Intel Atom Z550 2GHz
2. RAM - 2GB
3. Chipset - Intel US15W SCH
4. Storage - Internal bay for 2.5″ SATA HDD (160GB as default in Fit-PC2)
5. Graphics - Intel GMA500 graphics acceleration
6. Audio - S/PDIF 5.1
7. LAN - 1 Gigabit Ethernet port
8. Video output - DVI-D over HDMI connector. Ideally some other additional video output as well (there is space since it's a netbook).
9. USB - at least 4 regular-size USB ports (not requiring the mini-USB adapter). Ideally 6 full-size ports (there should be space since it's a netbook).
10. miniPCI-Express port with combo "WiFi+BlueTooth" card installed (but with a tray for easy access and replacement by user)
11. Power input - DC12V (9V to 15V tolerant)
12. SD card slot (regular SD, not mini-SD)
13. Screen - 8.9" to 12" (I would vote for 12" as the best option)
14. In case of 12" screen, full-size keyboard
15. In case of 12" screen, internal DVD-RW
16. Battery for as much hours as possible (use all the free space left from the PCB and the DVD-RW).
17. Fanless, like Fit-PC2.
18. Full aluminum case, like Fit-PC2 (no plastic parts).
19. Optional - web camera (?)
20. Optional - built-in 3G GSM modem for cellular internet, with a slot for SIM card (so that the modem would be internal and not USB like in most laptops today).

I wonder if other people would also like to see this available?

Aura

Re: FIT-BOOK (netbook using Fit-PC2 components)

Post by Aura »

Sound interesting. I would love to see this available.

9. IMO 4 full-size USB-ports is enough.

12. I don't use a SD card slot. Can't seem to find a use for it.

13. Definitely 12". Less is too small for me.

14. Yes. Full size keyboard.

15. I don't know about DVD-RW. It may (will) make the device unnecessarily thick unless you use an insanely thin DVD-RW drive like the one in my Toshiba Portegé R500. I like really slim devices so I wouldn't like to see it get thicker "only" because of an optical drive.

16. Yes. As many hours as possible so you don't have to take the power supply with you if you only need to use the device for a few hours.

18. Aluminium is good. Thought about magnesium (again like my R500)? Magnesium feels flimsy but is really durable and very light. It might be expensive though.

19. No web-camera for me.

20. Built-in 3G GSM modem would probably be a good idea. External modems are annoying.

21. A docking port and optional docking station would be great.

If this device (with my changes) was avalable at the time I bought my Fit-PC2 I would have bought the FIT-BOOK instead. It would replace both my desktop PC and my laptop.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

Aura wrote:9. IMO 4 full-size USB-ports is enough.
Yes but I imagine that 2 more USB ports cost next-to-nothing to add, and can be useful sometimes.
Aura wrote:12. I don't use a SD card slot. Can't seem to find a use for it.
If (and when) SD boot will be possible, this can be used as hard disk. Adding SD boot can be later done in BIOS, but adding SD card reader is impossible in an existing unit.
Aura wrote:15. I don't know about DVD-RW. It may (will) make the device unnecessarily thick unless you use an insanely thin DVD-RW drive like the one in my Toshiba Portegé R500. I like really slim devices so I wouldn't like to see it get thicker "only" because of an optical drive.
If it's not possible or will make the netbook very thick, then no need, but if it can be done style "Toshiba Portegé R500", it will definitely help in case of WindowsXP installations.
Aura wrote:19. No web-camera for me.
If it is expensive, then no need, but if it only costs 5$ more, then why not. Maybe you will use it one day. It's much more convenient than having a USB web camera.

Aura

Post by Aura »

yogev_ezra wrote:
Aura wrote:9. IMO 4 full-size USB-ports is enough.
Yes but I imagine that 2 more USB ports cost next-to-nothing to add, and can be useful sometimes.
Sure. If it's practically cheap and it won't make the FIT-BOOK physically larger 6 ports are better than 4 ofcourse.
yogev_ezra wrote:
Aura wrote:12. I don't use a SD card slot. Can't seem to find a use for it.
If (and when) SD boot will be possible, this can be used as hard disk. Adding SD boot can be later done in BIOS, but adding SD card reader is impossible in an existing unit.
Again I think this is OK if the SD slot doesn't make the FIT-BOOK larger.
yogev_ezra wrote:
Aura wrote:15. I don't know about DVD-RW. It may (will) make the device unnecessarily thick unless you use an insanely thin DVD-RW drive like the one in my Toshiba Portegé R500. I like really slim devices so I wouldn't like to see it get thicker "only" because of an optical drive.
If it's not possible or will make the netbook very thick, then no need, but if it can be done style "Toshiba Portegé R500", it will definitely help in case of WindowsXP installations.
If it can't be done with an ultra-thin drive like the R500 then I think the FIT-BOOK should not have a ODD. External ODD's are very cheap so not having an internal ODD should be OK.
yogev_ezra wrote:
Aura wrote:19. No web-camera for me.
If it is expensive, then no need, but if it only costs 5$ more, then why not. Maybe you will use it one day. It's much more convenient than having a USB web camera.
Agreed.

What do you think about:
Aura wrote:21. A docking port and optional docking station would be great.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

Aura wrote:21. A docking port and optional docking station would be great.
I personally would not need it, especially with everything possible to connect via USB or via other ports, but if it's also cheap to add, then why not? ;)

amix

Post by amix »

What would set this apart from the other Atom based netbooks?

I was to buy a netbook/notebook last year. In the end I favored an Apple MacBook over the netbooks, because there is no single netbook with a Firewire port on the market and I use a Firewire audio interface. So, what would be interesting is to see a netbook, that has a Firewire port, so people, who need a simple computer on the go to connect cameras or audio interfaces to it, have an option besides a full blown notebook. But a big market this is not, that's for sure.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

I have never in my life needed a Firewire interface. The only device ever using a Firewire interface that I owned, was Sony video-camera. But even with that, I somehow never used it.

Differences from other Atom-based Net-books:
1. RAM 2GB - most net-books have 1GB only
2. USB 6 ports - most net-books have 2-3 ports only
3. Intel US15W SCH chipset - most net-books use other chipset with higher power consumption
4. S/PDIF 5.1 audio - most netbooks have standard 2-channel audio
5. Fanless - most netbooks have a small fan
6. DVD-RW built-in (it's possible, see Toshiba Portege R600) - I don't know any netbook that has it
7. HDMI output - all netbooks I know have VGA output only
8. DC12V power input - most laptops have non-standard voltage so you need to have a dedicated power adapter for them
9. Built-in 3G GSM modem - I don't know netbooks that have it.
10. Aluminium or magnesium case is much more durable than plastic.

amix

Post by amix »

yogev_ezra wrote:I have never in my life needed a Firewire interface. The only device ever using a Firewire interface that I owned, was Sony video-camera. But even with that, I somehow never used it.
Well, then we have two reasons for Firewire: Video and audio-recording interfaces. Also external Firewire harddisks are usually much faster than USB. Right now one gets 800 Mb/s (Firewire 800) vs. 480Mb/s USB 2.0. Of course, with USB 3.0 this will change to a whopping 4.7Gb/s.

It's so frustrating to be unable to use the technically advanced stuff, because the whole world follows the ordinary Wintel specs (raw CPU power vs. sophistication). I had hoped, that a system, unordinary as the fit-pc, may go a little bit off the mainstream. There is simply no reason for someone to buy a netbook, who needs Firewire. Also, I think, that with a portable device there is three main importances:

a) portability (small)
b) endurance (battery life and also, for the long time, build quality)
c) connectivity (so one can relate to anything with it, flexibility)

a and b are more and more easy to find nowadays, c still missing but getting better with 4,6,7,8,9 of your list. As for 6x USB, I wonder what a one needs so many in the fileds. ;-)

Return to “Wish list”